The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   any word on ZXL upgrade?? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/260372-any-word-zxl-upgrade.html)

fishiowa 04-02-2012 07:25 AM

any word on ZXL upgrade??

I'm wondering if anyone has heard rumors about if/when Sage will be upgrading the ZXL with the technology they introduced with the One? I called Sage and they didn't know/wouldn't say.
Thanks,
Rich

sweetandsalt 04-02-2012 07:54 AM

Re: any word on ZXL upgrade??

Eventualy, all Sage rod series will benifit from re-design using Konetic technology. In what order and at what pace this will occure even Sage might not be certain about. To make great fly rods, considerable development and field testing time is required. Good rods with conventional materials can be put together fairly quickly. Replacing an existing excelent rod with something better, lighter and stronger is not easy.

ddombos2 04-02-2012 10:22 AM

I saw a Facebook post from Sage saying they were doing some "product development" down in Chokoloskee, FL. I took that to mean they were working on a new saltwater rod.

-Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moucheur2003 04-06-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddombos2 (Post 425296)
I saw a Facebook post from Sage saying they were doing some "product development" down in Chokoloskee, FL. I took that to mean they were working on a new saltwater rod.

-Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know. That's where Ted Juracsik lives. I'll bet they're just fishing with him and putting it on the expense account.

The Man Who Changed Fly Fishing Forever | Garden and Gun

ddombos2 04-06-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moucheur2003 (Post 427624)
I don't know. That's where Ted Juracsik lives. I'll bet they're just fishing with him and putting it on the expense account.

The Man Who Changed Fly Fishing Forever | Garden and Gun

I didn't realize "Tibor" lives there.

I've fished out of Chokoloskee enough times to really appreciate the wide selection of Costa Sunglasses and excellent customer service offered by Win-Car True Value in Everglades City. I got lucky and caught one of the owners outside the store when they were closed on New-Year's Day.) :cool:

Unfortunately, I've only been there with my wife's family. They're all gear fishermen...:(

Considering the reception of the One as a replacement for the Z-Axis, maybe we need to hope they aren't in a hurry to roll out the "upgrades" to their other rods.

FrankB2 04-06-2012 05:32 PM

The ZXL is a great rod, and doesn't need to be made faster, given a goofy grip, or a stealth blank color. I have mine, and will send it in for repair if needed. It's a very resilient rod, so it'll take a car door, etc, to break it. I wish that I had bought a 490 Z-Axis when they were on clearance. Actually, I did, but cancelled the order.....:confused:

chicagojohn 04-06-2012 10:46 PM

I think the ZXL is the best rod that Sage makes. A Winston WT doesn't need boron, and a ZXL doesn't need Generation #+ or Konnetic Technology to make it great. It is already a fantastic fly rod. New technology may improve rod strength and reduce weight, but at what cost? The flagship series of trout & saltwater rods, XP's, Z-Axis, One, Two, Three's, Xi2/3/4/5/6's, can be updated every year or two as Sage sees fit, however; it would be a shame to mess with a great rod like the ZXL and turn it into the VXP-Z-Axis/XL.

fishiowa 04-07-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagojohn (Post 427898)
I think the ZXL is the best rod that Sage makes. A Winston WT doesn't need boron, and a ZXL doesn't need Generation #+ or Konnetic Technology to make it great. It is already a fantastic fly rod. New technology may improve rod strength and reduce weight, but at what cost? The flagship series of trout & saltwater rods, XP's, Z-Axis, One, Two, Three's, Xi2/3/4/5/6's, can be updated every year or two as Sage sees fit, however; it would be a shame to mess with a great rod like the ZXL and turn it into the VXP-Z-Axis/XL.

I agree the ZXL is a great rod. I have the 386 and loved it so much I bought the 486. However, I find they are so similar in performance they are almost interchangeable. I also have a Z-Axis 490 and was looking for something to fit between the 386 ZXL and the 490 Z. I was probably trying to fill a gap that doesn't exist. I bought the 486 from an online retailer that will give me full credit for the purchase price as trade in so I've been casually wondering for the last year what to do. I've considered the ONE in 486 but like Frank I think the hardware is a bit funky, but I do like the black blank.
Rich