The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: George Anderson's "4-Weight Shootout"

No Redington CT = Incomplete and Invalid test.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:16 AM

attila will become famous soon enough

I dont see how theycan justify comparing a 9' rod to a 7'10" rod. Even from the same maker and model the difference in length alone can made a big difference in how the rod casts and how they are tapered,swing weight and so on.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:39 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

There is more diversity of rod type in this test via including both short and long versions and Trout and GPX lines. It is curious for me as my basic trout quiver includes two #4 rods: an 8 1/2' with a delicate tip progressively tapering into a a medium fast mid and butt section for spring creek environments and a 9' faster action 4-weight for small dries on big technical tail waters.

My newest 8 1/2'/#4 in a long line of such rods is the winner of this shootout, the Hardy Zenith which I have been fishing for a year now with Hardy's Ultralite DD and a RIO Gold #4...a very cool outfit. Currently a Scott S3 9'/#4.5 loaded with the GPX is my bigger water little rod but I intend to replace it with one of the losers in this test like the NRX 4.5 or the Sage ONE.

I favor a tight-looped, high line-speed dry fly delivery to effectively turn over my line and 15+' leader (5' of tippet) to execute a reach cast with in-air mends and wiggles before my fly wafts down into the trout's precise feeding lane. As I write this I am distracted by the fantasy of the short hackle legs of my thorax dun rotating the fly on its slack tippet as they brush against the overhanging grass draping over the creeks bank. Near the end of the drift is a matte of grass below which I have detected a bulge...I hope my imatation arrives as if unattached simultaniously with the timing of that bulge which is insuring that a good number of PMD's never get to moult and reproduce.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 04-03-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
No Redington CT = Incomplete and Invalid test.
I was really hoping to see it on the list.
I have trouble comparing these results to my real world fishing experiences but always enjoy the read. They put a lot of effort into it and it shows.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

Yep it is interesting to read. I think it's helpful as a review of each rod. It's the comparison part that's just not really fair IMO.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:51 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

There was no McFarlands, Steffan Brothers, ScottF2's, Orvis Superfines/Trout Bums, Winston TMF's, Kabuto's or any other " real true" 4 wts. so it really is a bogus "shootout".
Old 04-03-2012, 07:14 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
There was no McFarlands, Steffan Brothers, ScottF2's, Orvis Superfines/Trout Bums, Winston TMF's, Kabuto's or any other " real true" 4 wts. so it really is a bogus "shootout".
Mojo, In fairness it wasn't a test of mountain stream four weights so I doubt you'd see any glass or Boo. I'd love to see such a shoot-out though. Also the Winston TMF is not a production rod and I suspect George Anderson would argue that the Tom Morgan 8' 4 weight two piece in the test was THE Tom Morgan Favorite.

The B IIIX, the Zenith, the TMF, and the Sage TXL-F all tested well with the SA LT line, a true four weight line. So there were at least some true four weights in the test.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
What?!! No tip heavy cumbersom technologicaly outdated noodles in the shootout !???

Just kidding, just kidding, just kidding.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
What?!! No tip heavy cumbersom technologicaly outdated noodles in the shootout !???

Just kidding, just kidding, just kidding.
Hey, Hey...by cumbersome tip heavy you mean a rod that bends, requires a slow casting stroke and makes soft subtle dry fly deliverys. The superfines, Winston WT's, are true 4 wts. How could they do a shootout without the premier Orvis 4wt rod????

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout sniper View Post
I hace three of the 4wts on that list (I really need to thin my fly rod collection out, it is an addiction) and the TFO Finesse is my favorite of all of them. IMO it is BS that he put the Finesse that low on the list.
right on here...though I think the 7'9" Finesse is FAR better than the 8'9" that they tested. I have 6 four wt rods and it is still one of my favorite 4wts. I fish with it all the time and it is as good as any 4wt at any price IMO.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
True that...My Scott STS 4wt is my favorite 5 wt rod!
Their S3 fit that description as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.