The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   George Anderson's "4-Weight Shootout" (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/260412-george-andersons-4-weight-shootout.html)

sweetandsalt 04-02-2012 10:36 AM

George Anderson's "4-Weight Shootout"

Anderson's 5 and 8 - weight comparison tests have generated plenty of debate and refrence in this forum and now, for the first time, he has focused on our beloved #4 rods. Also a departure, he includes rods of diverse length and switches off between WF4 and 4.5F lines.

4weightshootout.bestspringcreekflyrods.dryflyrods. hardyzenith.sageTXL-F.SageONE.WinstonBIIIx.b3x.Beulahrods.CFBurkheimer rods

Let our analysis of his analysis begin!

ausablebrown 04-02-2012 11:11 AM

Re: George Anderson's "4-Weight Shootout"

The more of these "Shootouts" I read, the less stock I put in their comparisons. This is much less of an "apples to apples" than the other shootouts. A 7'10" 4wt is an entirely different rod than a 9' 4wt... Just to add, the 8' passport is a very stealthy casting and light feeling rod, the 9ft is a clumsy beast. They are still decent reviews, but WAAAAYYYY too many factors to consider when getting a 4wt rod to put any stock in where they rank them.

BigCliff 04-02-2012 02:05 PM

Given its ranking in the top half and price at the very bottom, I'd say that the Imperial is the winner in one regard.

Jackster 04-02-2012 02:13 PM

When is a 4 weight not a 4 weight?
When it needs a 4-1/2 weight line to behave.

ausablebrown 04-02-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackster (Post 425385)
When is a 4 weight not a 4 weight?
When it needs a 4-1/2 weight line to behave.

True that...My Scott STS 4wt is my favorite 5 wt rod!

chuck s 04-02-2012 03:31 PM

I've been following shoot outs for many years now with rods and reels--first in the Flyfishing Amercia magazine and for the past few with George Anderson's and they are very useful but you do need to read the entire report to understand the many facts and facets being tested or not and how exactly did they test them. George's are pretty good if not the best as the aspects are many and varied that they do incorporate into their testing. Of course there are always a few that get away such as a shorter against a longer rod mentioned above. In short they give a lot of info about the rods tested and any one contemplating buying a rod can use that to advantage.

burk48237 04-02-2012 06:25 PM

Well obviously I'm biased.:D

But these rods are the real deal. Having fished them now for a season I'm real impressed. One comment, I'm glad they preferred true four weights in this test. A four weight should be a dry fly rod. People shouldn't ask four weights to do the things five weights are made for (throwing small streamers, big indicator rigs). I understand why Yellowstone Angler would test five weights with a GPX (1/2 size heavier) because that fits the purpose of a five weight in Yellowstone. . But a four weight, even out west on spring creeks is suppose to be a delicate fly presenter, with a bit of reserve power not a "big gun". There are exceptions like long casting dry fly presentation on big flat water, Connors flats on the Ausable comes to mind. All in all I can't say I'm surprised at the results.

trout sniper 04-02-2012 06:41 PM

I hace three of the 4wts on that list (I really need to thin my fly rod collection out, it is an addiction) and the TFO Finesse is my favorite of all of them. IMO it is BS that he put the Finesse that low on the list.

pegboy1 04-02-2012 06:44 PM

I personally prefer a fast action 4wt. I feel i can make as delicate as a short dry fly cast as slower rods. Where I fish in the driftless area of wisconsin
the winds can get pretty strong blowing through those valleys and its nice to a have a little power as so your line doesnt blow clear off of a small 5' or 6' wide stream. I like the option of a little punch to get that line working to bust the wind.

trout sniper 04-02-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegboy1 (Post 425558)
I personally prefer a fast action 4wt. I feel i can make as delicate as a short dry fly cast as slower rods. Where I fish in the driftless area of wisconsin
the winds can get pretty strong blowing through those valleys and its nice to a have a little power as so your line doesnt blow clear off of a small 5' or 6' wide stream. I like the option of a little punch to get that line working to bust the wind.

Yeah, it is just my opinion. To each his own, I guess. I like fast action rods as well, the BVK (i have a 5wt) is one of my all-time favorites.