The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 03:14 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Scott S4 Thread

thats exactly how i feel about the five weight! I honestly feel that if fast action rods are what you like than there are none better than the Scott
Old 04-23-2012, 11:04 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

So I hit the Ausable Henny hatch last week and I took two rods up with me. My Sage ONE 905 was out on the day that we didn't expect to see any dries (35 mph wind gusts), and I ended up fishing dries with it after all; I'm glad I had it with me that day. I also took the 804-4 S4 because I was really hankering for some true dry fly fishing. Like I mentioned before, I have this rod paired with a DT line and it really performs well. However, I beleive I have found its weakness to be the short cast, the tip is just too stout for dropping a dry 15 feet from you, it tracks VERY true from 25' on up but it lacks the delicacy of the softer rods in real close. You really can't win'em all when you're looking for a 4wt. No matter what you are carrying; in the same day you could need a soft 7'4wt rod and a stout 9'4wt. Overall, considering I put on a size 6BH bugger as well as fished with 18 BWO's I'd say this 804-4 S4 is a good all-around 804, though it leans towards the fast/heavy duty end of the spectrum.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:16 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

My 8'8" 4wt G2 does everything I could ask for from a 4wt.... Wouldnt trade it for anything.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiniwerfishin View Post
My 8'8" 4wt G2 does everything I could ask for from a 4wt.... Wouldnt trade it for anything.
I've fished that rod with a bunch of different configurations of flies/nymphs/and streamers, and IMO it is a dry fly rod first. It doesn't have alot of lifting power, or punch for streamers or double nymphs rigs. Don't get me wrong it is a VERY sweet, but soft rod.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:41 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I agree 100%, I wouldn't use it on heavy/double nymph rigs. I usually use a 4wt for dries or single nymph, non indi rigs. I guess in the waters I usually fish the 4wt is typically a dry only rod. The G2 is deffinitely more of a presentation rod than a power house......
Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 AM

I really like some power in my rods because of the different scenarios that arise during any given day. We were wading LONG stretches of the Ausable with light backpacks most days and hiking several miles back to the car; realy no chance to switch up rods between streamer/nymph fishing and hatch time! On any given day I was fishing wets, BIG streamers, dries, and nymphs. I really prefer to use a more stout 4wt than a more supple 5wt. I wish we could roll a Scott G2 4wt and a Sage ONE 5wt into the same rod!!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I would agree, a G2 is a dry fly stick...

I have to ask, you say the S4 isn't very good with a DT line at distances of less than 25', have you tried any other lines?

How is the Sage ONE at distances under 25'?

Just curious...
Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I really like some power in my rods because of the different scenarios that arise during any given day. We were wading LONG stretches of the Ausable with light backpacks most days and hiking several miles back to the car; realy no chance to switch up rods between streamer/nymph fishing and hatch time! On any given day I was fishing wets, BIG streamers, dries, and nymphs. I really prefer to use a more stout 4wt than a more supple 5wt. I wish we could roll a Scott G2 4wt and a Sage ONE 5wt into the same rod!!!!

Makes sense..... I almost always fish from a boat, makes having a few rods for different scenarios alot easier.

I'm also interested in casting the ONE, but I don't want to find another favorite stick right now..... It costs too much when that happens, I know I'd find a reason to "need" one.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:37 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiniwerfishin View Post
Makes sense..... I almost always fish from a boat, makes having a few rods for different scenarios alot easier.

I'm also interested in casting the ONE, but I don't want to find another favorite stick right now..... It costs too much when that happens, I know I'd find a reason to "need" one.
I don't know of a single person who really cares for any of the Sage ONE's they have fished.

Like anything though, more personal preference involved than anything...
Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
I would agree, a G2 is a dry fly stick...

I have to ask, you say the S4 isn't very good with a DT line at distances of less than 25', have you tried any other lines?

How is the Sage ONE at distances under 25'?

Just curious...
I tried it with a WF line and it seemed to speed up the casting stroke up, made it feel more like a cannon than the DT line does. I don't remember trying short casts with the WF line on there, but it was my overall impression that the DT felt better to me so I left it on there. I'm not saying it is horrible at 15', its just not a Sage LL, or a WT that's for certain. It takes a little more guess work rather than feel to get the fly where you want it, and short little tip rolls, or wrist flips are not very easy; it takes a longer stroke because of the stiff tip. Maybe a GPX taper WF would make the tip feel a little more supple. Now I'm curious.

The Sage ONE 905-4...not a dry fly rod at 20'. I read one review that calls it a "real platter slapper" at close range and I completely agree. I've nymphed with it several times and it works fantastic for that. I've thrown streamers up to size 2 dumbell eyes and it is great at that also. It is not good at dropping a dry fly gently at 20 feet...forget about 10-15 feet. I have a Power Taper Hydros line on it and it still feels like a dowel rod at close distances.

I spoke with the owner and one of the guides at the Old Ausable shop when I was up there and they seemed to have the same impression. Andy says "it can lift a brick but it can't hit the water right in front of you". I do have to say that no matter where you are casting the ONE it casts very straight! It just isn't a gentle rod. The day that I took the Sage ONE out there were 35MPH wind gusts so we scoped out a section of water to nymph and streamer fish. The fish were ready to feed on top whenever the bugs could find a break in the wind to land, so I switched to the henny 14 dry. Just for fun I turned straight into the 35 mph wind and punched it out to about 50 ft a couple times. When the wind was calm, I could really see how bad this rod was at presenting dry flies at close range.