The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Scott S4 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
I don't know of a single person who really cares for any of the Sage ONE's they have fished.

Like anything though, more personal preference involved than anything...
Good to hear, means I don't need to try them out.... I'm content witm my S4's anyhow. I had a few S3s rods, realy like d them too but as soon as I got an S4 in my hands all of the S3s rods got sold, Scott gets it right with just about every rod they pop out.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I tried it with a WF line and it seemed to speed up the casting stroke up, made it feel more like a cannon than the DT line does. I don't remember trying short casts with the WF line on there, but it was my overall impression that the DT felt better to me so I left it on there. I'm not saying it is horrible at 15', its just not a Sage LL, or a WT that's for certain. It takes a little more guess work rather than feel to get the fly where you want it, and short little tip rolls, or wrist flips are not very easy; it takes a longer stroke because of the stiff tip. Maybe a GPX taper WF would make the tip feel a little more supple. Now I'm curious.

The Sage ONE 905-4...not a dry fly rod at 20'. I read one review that calls it a "real platter slapper" at close range and I completely agree. I've nymphed with it several times and it works fantastic for that. I've thrown streamers up to size 2 dumbell eyes and it is great at that also. It is not good at dropping a dry fly gently at 20 feet...forget about 10-15 feet. I have a Power Taper Hydros line on it and it still feels like a dowel rod at close distances.

I spoke with the owner and one of the guides at the Old Ausable shop when I was up there and they seemed to have the same impression. Andy says "it can lift a brick but it can't hit the water right in front of you". I do have to say that no matter where you are casting the ONE it casts very straight! It just isn't a gentle rod. The day that I took the Sage ONE out there were 35MPH wind gusts so we scoped out a section of water to nymph and streamer fish. The fish were ready to feed on top whenever the bugs could find a break in the wind to land, so I switched to the henny 14 dry. Just for fun I turned straight into the 35 mph wind and punched it out to about 50 ft a couple times. When the wind was calm, I could really see how bad this rod was at presenting dry flies at close range.
Got ya, yeah, well, you truly can't expect a rod to be great at 15' with a size 14 dry and also knock a indy rig or weighted streamer way out, why we have different tapers for different types of fishing...

I used to own a 9' Thomas & Thomas Horizon II which was about the best all around 5 weight I have ever used, never used any of the Scott or Sage 5 weights though. Did own a BIIx 9' 5 weight, never cared much for it...

I don't really "Trout" fish, I basically fish streamers year round, whether it's Smallies in Summer/Fall, swinging them in Fall/Winter for steelhead, ripping em for Browns in the Spring or casting them in the salt at various times of year, about all I do...

I want fish that eat MEAT
Old 04-24-2012, 01:16 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
I want fish that eat MEAT
Well in that case, I think you would LOVE the Sage ONE. It is a meat casting rod to the core and it excels at that!
Old 04-24-2012, 01:25 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Well in that case, I think you would LOVE the Sage ONE. It is a meat casting rod to the core and it excels at that!
I fished the 7 weight 9' model, wasn't a fan...

My favorite streamer sticks are the Scott S4 series in 6, 7 and 8 weights and for Redfish "the only salt fishing I really do", I like the S4s 9 weight...

I used to own a two piece Sage SLT 9' 7 weight, liked it for Bass bugs, about the only Sage rod I ever used that I liked. Hated the 4 piece version of that same rod though...
Old 04-24-2012, 01:59 PM

alligator is on a distinguished road

I own the S4 803 (8 ft. 3 wt.) and love it. Found it on ebay at over half off and decided to give it a try.

I had a Sage ZXL 8'6" 3 wt. and finally decided I wasn't in love. A little long for the streams I was on, and a little slow loading. I wanted a 3 wt. that could punch a cast out in a hurry, but still long enough to give me line control. Bingo!

Re other comments here, I love Sage rods and the Z-axis is perfect for me. But I haven't liked the One. Maybe I didn't have it for long enough to adjust my casting stroke. I hope they combine the casting kharma of the Z with the lightness of the One: The ZONE.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:43 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I own the S4 803 (8 ft. 3 wt.) and love it. Found it on ebay at over half off and decided to give it a try.

I had a Sage ZXL 8'6" 3 wt. and finally decided I wasn't in love. A little long for the streams I was on, and a little slow loading. I wanted a 3 wt. that could punch a cast out in a hurry, but still long enough to give me line control. Bingo!

Re other comments here, I love Sage rods and the Z-axis is perfect for me. But I haven't liked the One. Maybe I didn't have it for long enough to adjust my casting stroke. I hope they combine the casting kharma of the Z with the lightness of the One: The ZONE.
Finally, someone who is using an S4 that isn't fishing in the salt! Can you give me a little review on the 3wt? I'm assuming it behaves more like the 8'4wt than the others that the members have chimed in about (6-9wts). What line do you have on it? Are you fishing (or able to fish) anything but dries on the 3wt?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:53 PM

alligator is on a distinguished road

OK, but I have limited experience so far. I have a Airflow wf 3 line on it, but am going to put a new SA trout stalker on it. I want a line that loads quickly and can cast from 10' to 35' quickly...and if wanted, lightly. I need an 8' during and after the cast for line control...reach...mend...etc. In other words, great line control and light touch down.

From what I've seen so far, this rod will do it.

Now as I've said on other threads, the Scott A4 (which I have in a 4 wt. 8 ft.) is amazing. Very similar to the S4. I certainly wouldn't pay for the S4 (unless you got an ebay bargain, as I did) when the A4 is so similar.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
OK, but I have limited experience so far. I have a Airflow wf 3 line on it, but am going to put a new SA trout stalker on it. I want a line that loads quickly and can cast from 10' to 35' quickly...and if wanted, lightly. I need an 8' during and after the cast for line control...reach...mend...etc. In other words, great line control and light touch down.

From what I've seen so far, this rod will do it.

Now as I've said on other threads, the Scott A4 (which I have in a 4 wt. 8 ft.) is amazing. Very similar to the S4. I certainly wouldn't pay for the S4 (unless you got an ebay bargain, as I did) when the A4 is so similar.
No worries there, I stole mine for $257 plus shipping! Thats why I decided to try it out, I would have never (and never have) paid$ 725 for a rod. I don't have a rod that cost me more than half price!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

While i love my S4's, for those looking for a faster rod that is gentle enough for drys or as one poster said a Sage One and a G2 rolled into one...take a look at the Scott A4. Its got the power of the S series and the touch of the G series IMHO. Naturally the G2 is softer and the S4 is faster but if the three bears had to make the call...i think the A4 is...just right. I fish my S series rods when i will be throwing a lot of streamers or junk and my A series rods when im throwing a lot of everything or just dont know what to expect.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:16 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

A not so little testament as to why I like my S4's so much..... this one came on the 7wt no problem.

Click the image to open in full size.