The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default The Scott S4 Thread

Anyone else using the S4? I've asked a few others on here and I can't find anyone who is fishing with the S4. I recently found another auction site STEAL so I had to pick it up. I got an 8' 4wt S4 a few weeks ago and it might relegate my TXL to a back-up rod. The best reviews I found on the S4 were in the Yellowstone shootout. They seemed to think the 9'5wt was a true 6wt and came in second to last in their 5wt shootout. I find the 8'4wt casts a 4wt DT like a dream; it flexes a considerable amount more than I expected after reading reviews about the other sizes. It tracks very true, casts well with only 6 or 8 ft of line off the tip, and will unload 75' of my DT line with a good double haul. It seems to have finesse and some deep flexing power also. Also, the buckeye burl reel seat is truly unique; something to stare at for sure.

Anyone else have experience with these in any other sizes?

Last edited by ausablebrown; 04-05-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: The Scott S4 Thread

I own the Scott S4 sticks in 9' six, seven & eight weight formats...

The sixer is the fighting butt model obviously the seven and eights are as well.

I use these rods mainly for Smallmouth fishing and absolutely LOVE them.

They aren't super fast, but still produce a ton of line speed so you end up with cannons with feel.

All in all, a superb series of rods...

They load in close and will punch a backing knot through the guides if you need to...

I have owned high end rods in similar formats by T&T, Winston, Sage, CF Burkheimer, etc.... for my personal taste, nothing compares with the S4 rods when it comes to freshwater streamer fishing. Never used any of the lighter weight models....

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:35 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Thats a nice arsenal KWB! I love the Torque's also. It looks like the 7wt gets the most use (if that's the one in the middle).

I'm finding the 8' 4wt to be about the same, it will produce alot of line speed, but it does it gracefully. When I double haul to toss the whole line (or really close to it) it really bends deep but seems to stay strong. Are you overlining these like "THE" shootout says you have to??? They were awfully critical of the 5wt in this regard. Just about the only thing I agree with them on is this rod seems to have a sturdy tip. It takes a little more motion to make a very short cast...it cant be done with a flip of the rod tip as easily as with some rods. With an 8' rod I don't foresee this being a problem. 15-20' casts seem to track really straight and are rather effortless. I was a little hesitant to try it at first becasue it is at the top of the flex-meter avatar that Scott has posted on their website to gauge all of their rods. I've cast MUCH faster 8'4wt rods than the S4. This almost has a mid flex, or medium action feel, and it really gives that feel on 30'+ casts.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:56 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

I do use my 7 weight S4 rods the most, but that photo was taken when those 3 were relatively new hence the clean cork, they don't look like that anymore.

I have three of the 7 weights and two each of the 6 and 8 weight sticks...

I would NOT over-line these rods at all, I have ran the following lines on them.

Rio Smallmouth Taper on 7 weights

SA Textured Mag Taper on 6, 7 & 8 weights.

SA Type III sink tip line on 7 weights.

Rio 15' Type V sink tip line on 7 weights.

SA Textured Coastal Express on 8 weight.

I find the Yellowstone shootouts to be quite a joke personally...

I guess if I had to describe the action of these rods I would describe them as a moderate fast flex with a fast recovery speed. To me it is what every rod designer should strive for as it gives an angler more feel, but the fast recovery speed gives you all the performance one would want. My buddies always say their rods designed for "fishing" not parking lot casting, I would agree...

I have yet to have a Friend or client cast one who didn't go out and buy one for themselves...

As for having a stronger tip, I do agree it does, but they flex easy enough deeper into the blank, it in reality allows for less work in close in my opinion and keeps them tracking straight at longer distances. You just have to let the rod do the work. So many people want to force the issue and have bad casting form, they actually work against the well designed rods. Just my opinion, everyone will have their own personal taste in the best fly rod for them, but these are very well thought out tapers in my opinion for what I do...

Last edited by kwb; 04-05-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I have the 9x5. Way better in my hands than the Sage or Hardy. Yellowstones shootouts are total marketing garbage.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I have the 10' 5wt, 9'6" 6wt, 9' 9wt, and will be picking up a 9' 7wt tomorrow. I've tried alot of rods over tha last year, I probably went through about 30 or so rods before I found what I wanted. I like them for the same reasons as KWB, fast recovery, forgiving tip, alot of power in the butt. I realy don't see what else you could need in a fly rod. I used my 6wt for Steelhead this season, while my biggest was only about 7lbs or so the S4 handled the fish in pretty heavy current(wading, not from a boat) like a champ. I'm trying to clear out rods that aren't S4's, the cost is the only thing slowing me down(wish I had a guide license,it's worth it just for the HUGE gear discounts). I agree, the Yellowstone Shootouts are a total marketing scam, I believe this to be true for almost any publication or blog/website that reviews just about anything, who ever pays the most or gives the most gear wins(I know for a fact it happens in other industries so why not fishing). Thats why when I look for reviews, I look at forums, and more than one, I want to know what real users have to say.

Last edited by wishiniwerfishin; 04-18-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM

That 9' 9 weight S4 is a real gem, my buddy has one, wish they still made it as I would own one for Louisiana Redfish!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 PM

gjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the roughgjcordray is a jewel in the rough

I own a 9' 5 weight paired with a Rio Grande fly line. It is the best all around fly rod I have ever owned. I primarily nymph, and this thing handles heavy rigs like a dream. Think Bighorn river style rod. It particularly access at long roll casts and It does have a surprisingly soft tip for how strong the butt section is. This makes it suitable for dry fly fishing, especially throwing bigger bugs like stimulators or hoppers. I personally like my Scott G2 8'8" 4 weight for casting more technical dries, but the s4 is adequate in these situations as well.

I don't know if I can call the Yellowstone Angler shootouts a joke or not, but they do seem to prefer a certain style rod, and Scott is not it apparently.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I got the 7wt this morning on the way to meet up with Striper guide Maury Hatch to fish the Feather River. I already had my Super 6 loaded with 250gr Streamer Express so I got a chance to try it out on some Striper to around 4lbs. All I have to say is I found my new favorite rod in my arsenal.... Now I have to try out the 8wt, I think I'll be just as happy as I am with the others. And by the way, the 250 Streamer Express line is perfect for the rod.

A few action shots from today....

Last edited by wishiniwerfishin; 04-20-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:27 AM

Nice!

I think the 9' 7 weight is tough to beat myself...

The 6 and 8 weights are amazing, but just something about that 7 weight that cannot be described in words, truly an amazing stick!