The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default ALLEN'S ATS Fly Rod

At the Wasatch Fly Tying Expo, I "Finally" got to meet Justin and what an awesome guy.
We looked over his gear and I shook a few rods. Myself I like a good mid flex like the Orvis 7.5, or the Sage LL or even the Winston JWF. On Saturday evening I glanced to the side of his booth and a beautiful red rod jumped out and bitme big time. Feeling down in the past because I have this beautiful Red reel, that screams since Evan upgraded it, that I bought for my Zero, which has since broke and replaced with the Helios. I am not complaining but the two were fabulous together.
So, I had to test this rod. I picked it up and it fused to my hand. I could not let it go. YES! a smooth as silk mid flex. I got the 9' 6wt. four piece.
Well lately I have been addicted to Carp and they are soooo close. I have been using an 8 wt as these things are 30" and up, but, I had to try it.
Third cast BAM!!!! line slipping through my fingers and rod bent. YES!!!! Now I have NEVER seen this before, but this Carp came straight up, full body and I am talking OVER 35" and dancing on its tail. Sadly I use barbless and two head shakes and he is gone.
So I cast a couple more times and again Bammm. I jerk the rod to set the hook and we play cat and mouse for what felt an eternity. I finally got it close enough to scoup the head.
This rod has so much back bone I am so excited! ALLEN FLY FISHING!!!!

Here are some shots,

Click the image to open in full size.

Oh and again...here is the fly of choice. There were about 5 landedbut the camera died.

Jackster, fysh, jpbfly and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Joni; 04-09-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:44 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: ALLEN'S ATS Fly Rod

Nice write-up Joni, I picked up the 7'3" 2(3) weight and I am equally excited about it. While I haven't had any 35" tail-walking carp (which is *insert expletive here* awesome, by the way), it sure does a great job with 12" browns who choose to do the same! Love the reel choice as well, the red Trout reel looks as good on your 6wt as it does on my lighter rod

And as a side-note, I definitely need to try that glo-bug as a carp fly too...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Joni,
That's the same rod I cast at the show and I absolutely loved it. One heckuva rod and destined to be a big seller for Justin once the word gets out. I will have one soon!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

Congrats on the carp. I have yet to get one on a fly.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joni: Congrats on the new rod and the great looking Carp you have been landing!

Larry
Old 04-09-2012, 08:38 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I think there should be a fulls wells grip and fighting butt version of this rod too.
Justin, Evan, make to so, along with my burnt orange reel.
mbphotos54 likes this.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

too cool!. I seen AJ's light rig just afte he got it, and I will have one some time, ill go light, I still want to get a myth for my 6wt since I have the green reel.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm with Mojo on the burnt orange reel

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of lightallenflyfishing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I'm with Mojo on the burnt orange reel
yea yea burnt orange. Im thinking that will be the next color. Also, the guys from proguidedirect.com just did a review on the ATS rod.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice fish and nice rodcongrats Joni....could you post a pic and sbs of the fly your fly...and how you use it...thanks