The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mysticm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 AM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough
Default Difference in 8'6 vs. 9'0 rod handling?

First time post; lurker for a few months. I'm looking at a new 5 wt and was wondering if there is a difference in how a fly rod handles in different lenghts.8'6 vs. 9 0; I'm in MO so I will not be fishing large waters except for a few times per year when headed to the White system. For what its worth fishing a 8' 6 SC Avid, 4wt. Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difference in 8'6 vs. 9'0 rod handling?

In my opinion there is a big difference between a 8.5 and a 9.0 ft rod. If I were you I would borrow a 9 ft rod and try it on your local streams. If you have the casting room, then I say buy the 9 wt. If not get the shorter rod.

For my local streams I use a 7.5, 8.0 and 8.5 ft rods in 3,4, and 5 wt respectively. I have not used a 9 ft rod in my local waters for 20 years. But then I go to Montana, I use a 10 ft 5 wt rod with a 9 ft 4 wt as a back up. The 9 ft 4 wt is used if I fish a spring creek.

Since you already have a 8.5 foot Avid, you could also fish a 5 wt line on it with a second spare spool for your local streams and then buy the 9 footer 5 wt for larger waters. I doubt you would notice that much difference using the 4 wt rod if you really wanted to use a 5 wt line.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I am with Silver on this...stay with a 8'6" rod for the smaller waters. I have found that the 6" makes a difference in smaller areas...also the 8'6" rods will generally have a lighter feel in hand (less swing weight)

Also since you already have a 4wt, my suggestion would be to go for a 9' 6wt for the larger waters. If you stay with a medium action, you should be able to use it for both dry and wet (nymphs, streamers) flies with a suitable line taper.

IMHO, 4wt to 5wt is not sufficient gap to provide differentiating performance.
imxer likes this.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey Skyline,

Welcome to the forum, I am quite sure you will get a good sampling of opinion on your first post here. I do hope that you will continue to post with us and give the membership a chance to unload some of that knowledge they have stored up. Glad to see you on the board,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2012, 11:01 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Welcome

As far as rod length goes I am sort of an all or nothing guy. I have several 9' 4 and 6wt rods that get used a couple times a year max. I only use those when I go to big open water where there are not alot of obstructions for casting and a 40-50' or greater cast is common.

Other than that I have several 3 and 4 wt rods ranging from 7' - 7'10". I dont see the rod length hampering the ability to cast 30-40' which is a good distance.

The two things I notice is roll casting these short rods is fine until I get more than about 20' of line out. Also they are a little tougher to nymph with as far as mending or high sticking goes....tougher but not impossible.

I had several 8'6" rods and I ended up selling them for the fact that in my spots I fish it is either go big or go small.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:08 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I have an 8'6" TFO pro series. I bought my daughter a 9' 0" TFO pro series. Both are 4 wt but feel different. The 9 feels stiffer. I like mine better. She will get use to hers.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:27 PM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

It depends on the rod. One companies 9' may swing lighter and easier than another's 8'6". Personally, I have a 9' 3wt that I love becuase I can keep line off the water, mend, and get distance with. I also have 7'10" 3wt that I love in tighter quarters that feel heavier than the 9' (Sage One v TFO Lefty Kreh).
Old 04-12-2012, 03:24 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Creeker,

I may have mistaken about the original question but my view is that it was not about the "feel" of the rod. It was about the casting space allowing a nine foot rod to be used on the small stream regardless of how it feels. That is why I said 6 inches makes a big difference.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-12-2012, 03:39 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

This could be taken 'more than one way,' but you add 6" to a rod and you've (all things considered) added a significant amount of distance you could cast.

Given where you are that may/may not make a whit's difference. But the terms: "Over-kill-Under-kill," are alive and well. Me thinks.

'Gentlemen, choose your weapons' sort of thing.