The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2007, 07:25 PM

Jasonbu is on a distinguished road
Default Sage FLI 490, 90' cast from a newB

Hey, just thought I would share my short experience with the Sage FLI 490-4. Just started fly fishing about 8 weeks ago. I have a Sage FLI 4 weight loaded with RIO WF4F. I have had lots of fun learning how to fly cast. My buddy is also learning, he has a Sage Launch 5 wt. After fly casting at Cabelas loading different weight lines, I figured I would try my friends 5 wt line in my 4 weight FLI. My distance with the 4 weight line was around 65-70' (at least on my good cast) which I was very happy with. First time out with the 5 weight line I just couldn't believe it. The FLI 490 just kept wanting more line. I was casting at or near 80' when I remembered the Joan Wulff instruction (Shoot line on your back cast for maximum distance). Next cast, shot line on my back cast, spooled the reel laying out every foot of available line less backing. I just love this rod. It took me some time to get use to it, but it just keeps getting better. Next, time to get this accuracy thing down.

This should be good testiment to the Sage FLI line. For a new guy like myself to get this type of distance, it MUST be the gear.

Regards
Old 10-29-2007, 06:59 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice
Default Re: Sage FLI 490, 90' cast from a newB

Congratulations, it sounds like you are getting your casting technique together. The ability to shoot line is especially critical with big water rods. Your post also points out one of the biggest paradoxes in the flyfishing industry. I remember being at the Denver show a couple of years ago and watching every customer (these were flyfishing industry people) test out 9' 5 weights by double hauling at the casting pond. The problem is that 90% of the fishing they'll do with that rod will be within 40'! Right now most manufacturers know every rod they make has to be a good distance casting machine if they want to sell it. So their is a scarcity of rods that roll cast, mend line, and cast accurately and effectively at real dry fly distances. I'm almost fifty, I can barely SEE a size 22, thirty feet away!

I would suggest that with that 9/4 you concentrate on hitting targets within forty feet and learning how to lay a line down softly, learn how to reach cast and roll cast. These skills are much more important in learning to catch most FW fish then the ability to get all the line off your reel. Having said that, keep having fun, And your distance casting skills will come in handy when you have a breeze on a bone fish flat. And good luck, I look forward to seeing some pictures of Fish caught with that rod.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:27 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Good on ya, Jason! Those are casts that easily 90% of fly fishers can't do!
If you want to break the 100' mark, try putting that 4 weight line on your friends 5 weight! It may sound wrong but it seems you know how to carry a pile of line in the air. With the lighter line the rod won't be worked as much which should help prevent tailing loops and which will allow you to carry more line then shoot it on the presentation cast.
Good luck with the distance stuff but as burk48237 suggested, get the bread-and-butter casts down pat at every practice session. Those are the fish catching casts!
Old 10-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Just keep in mind that you may be overloading that rod to the point to where it may snap. A 4wt rod is not designed to aerialize 80' of 5wt line.

And buddy, it sounds like you could throw 120' with a 6 or 8wt TCR. Keep up the good work!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:45 PM

Jasonbu is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the kind words and Sage advice (by Sage I don't mean the Rod company). I have only been fly casting for around 8 weeks, but I have been heating up my front lawn for turf bass. My neighbors think I'm strange, what the hell is that guy doing fishing in his front yard? Between practicing in my front lawn and fishing, I probably have around 80 hours of fly casting. Can't seem to get enough of it. I have also been teaching my 8 year old the basics so he should be off and running soon. Planning a trip to Meramec springs for some trout fishing, Missouri looks like it has some nice trout streams. For now I will keep at the local bass, and bluegill populations.
Thanks again for the advice,

JB