The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 PM

johny65 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Scott A4 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg52 View Post
I've been interested in the A4 myself. Soon as I get a free weekend I plan on checking them out at McClellan's Fly Shop. Not gonna lie though, I'd sure like to find another Z-Axis in 590-4.
Please give know, how you like them. If anybody could post some pics of the scott a4 rods I would be glad thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 02:46 PM

schizz is on a distinguished road

I looked at a lot of rods this year before picking the A4 8'6" 4wt. I bought it based on quality, feel and parking lot performance. On the water the rod is absolutley amazing. Yesterday I was dropping dries into about a three foot opening between logs and branches from around 30-35 feet. I wanted to hit the pool and thought I would wade over if I snagged, didn't snag once, it's just crazy accurate. I am also surprised at how sensitive it is in this length for nymphing. I typically don't use a strike indicator (this is actually the first year I've ever tried one) and once past the dead drift I am able to feel the difference between bouncing on the bottom and a strike. Caught about 10 bows/browns with nymphs and about 10 or so more on top. As others have mentioned It really can put out a lot of line if needed. I paired it with a Nautilus FWX (another great bargain at its price point) and it makes for a very balanced outfit. I would imagine the 10' would be an awesome rod as well. I debated buying rods at twice the price and really happy with my decision to buy the A4.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:37 AM

coldwater55 is on a distinguished road

Just recieved my A4 Thursday from ups,havnt had a chance to hit the river yet.
So far just yard casting it I really enjoy this rod,I got the 9' 6wt.As far as a reel for it ,I want the new Hatch
Old 05-12-2012, 06:55 PM

markg52 will become famous soon enough

I made it down to McClellan's Fly Shop today and did some parking lot casting with a 9 foot 5 weight. It is now in the back of my Jeep ready for some water and fish slime. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:51 AM

Click the image to open in full size.
Here is the new A4 ,still wrapped in plastic.
MoscaPescador likes this.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a Scott A4 8ft4wt and paired it with the Lamson Litespeed 1.5. I bought this "secret" outfit for a few of the small streams I fish when I venture back to my home state of SD and fish the Black Hills area. A debated over what length of rod to get but 8 ft just seemed perfect for my smaller dream streams. What a piece of art and it's cool that it's made right here in CO. Can't wait to fish it.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 AM

I put a Lamson Velocity 1.5 on mine. Finally got some fish stink on it last week. Hit the creek near my house hunting for a big carp thats been hanging around. He didn't show, caught a few bream and enjoyed watching my son catch some Smallmouth chunking a Hula Grub. Headed over to Norfork tailwaters Saturday morning. Had a really good day. Caught a bunch of rainbows and a couple of browns. Rod is awesome! Threw everything from a two beadhead flies/split shot/ and an indicator rig while the water was droppng out, to soft hackle in the shoasl. Wind even came up pretty good but punched right through it. Very impressed with the rod. The only breakoff I had was when I dropped my backcast while a little close to the bank and snagged some grass, so I'd say tippet protection was excellent.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:13 PM

addni is on a distinguished road

That's a very nice looking rod!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:09 PM

legalyaker is on a distinguished road

Got to try out the 9' 5wt and 8'6 4wt. Wow! I like them better than the S4 in those weights. They feel more fishable but can still punch a cast out. They track very true. I wish I could have tried the 9' 4wt for comparison. Best value out there by far.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

May have to try one of these out if its similar to the s4. I need a 4 weight and I'm more concerned about accuracy but I still want power for wind.

Does it have the power to punch through wind?

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com