The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 02:04 AM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Scott A4 Thread

Bringing this back from the dead...did anyone ever pull the trigger on a 9'6" 6wt or the 10' 4wt?
Old 10-01-2013, 04:25 AM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all

Well, since you have already done the job of reviving the dead, I will share my experience with the 1004-4.
I purchased the rod new hoping to use it for some Euro nymphing & limited dry fly fishing.
The fit and finish of the rod was excellent (like all Scotties). That was about all the positives I can recall about the rod. I found the action very tough to match with my casting stroke, as a reference I own and fish rods ranging from the Z axis, LL's to Bamboo (Payne tapers), so like a broad range of rod actions. For some reason I also found the rod to be noticeably tip heavy. I know that by laws of physics, this is to be expected as you go to longer lengths but the 10' A4 was quite bad from this standpoint.

The key issue I had with the action was there was very little 'feel' while fishing the rod. End result - I ended up selling the rod after a few months at a significant loss.

I used to own a A3 series 4wt and loved it a lot. I was hoping that the A4 would have been an improvement but for me it wasn't.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:58 PM

alligator is on a distinguished road

I own and love my Sage Z axis 10 4. You can do so many things with it from nymphing to dry flies on a larger river.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:46 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I own and love my Sage Z axis 10 4. You can do so many things with it from nymphing to dry flies on a larger river.
I can't agree more. I love, love, love my 10' 4wt Z.

I don't have any experience with the A4, sorry.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
The key issue I had with the action was there was very little 'feel' while fishing the rod. End result - I ended up selling the rod after a few months at a significant loss.

I used to own a A3 series 4wt and loved it a lot. I was hoping that the A4 would have been an improvement but for me it wasn't.
That's a real bummer, sorry it did not work out for you. Was your A3 a 9ft or 10ft? Do you think the new rod stunk because it was a 10 footer or because it was an A4?

Hopefully a 9' 4wt A4 owner will chime in...
Old 10-02-2013, 04:51 AM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
That's a real bummer, sorry it did not work out for you. Was your A3 a 9ft or 10ft? Do you think the new rod stunk because it was a 10 footer or because it was an A4?

Hopefully a 9' 4wt A4 owner will chime in...

My A3 was a 904, so not exactly apples to apples comparison but still, I was hoping the overall feel / action of the blanks would be the same regardless of the length within a particular rod series.