The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 AM

floorabove is on a distinguished road
Default Newest Verrsion of Orvis' Clearwater

Has anybody tried out the New Orvis Clearwater?

Supposed to be built around the same tapers as the top of the line Helios.

Been thinking about picking up a 9 wt.

Anybody truy one out yet??

Impressions?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 AM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Newest Verrsion of Orvis' Clearwater

I have cast a 5 weight. I think its a nice rod, like all Orvis offerings. Ive honestly never cast one yet that i think was a real dog. Take a look at the Access rods. Made in Vermont and a super rod at even double their asking price.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:44 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I've wiggled a new Clearwater but not fished with one. Seems like a very nice rod for the money, and a big improvement on some of Orvis's previous low-end offerings, but it's not a twin of the Helios.

A former Orvis rep told me that the Hydros line indeed was built on the same blanks as the Helios, but with different finish and hardware. Sadly, Orvis discontinued the Hydros when they brought out the Access, apparently because their price points were too similar.

There are still a few new, discontinued Hydros rods around in shops and online. If you can find one they are going at closeout prices of ~$300-350. They are a steal at that price and way better than either the Clearwater or the Access. I bought a 9 wt and caught some snook and jacks with it about a month ago. It's my new favorite saltwater rod.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:45 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I think this is where he is getting this from"The all new Clearwater® Series reaps the rewards of our award-winning Helios™ technology. Lighter and more responsive than ever, the Clearwater Series offers 20 models from a delicate 2-weight to a broad-shouldered 12-weight in flex profiles perfectly suited for the rod's application."
I just got the new Clearwater rod in (9w) and have matched it up with the clearwater reel and hydros line. I will hopefully get to try it out on Monday at lunch to see how it casts. Gotto be better then my walmart special.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 07-07-2012, 09:03 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Newest Verrsion of Orvis' Clearwater

I recently got a 9' 9wt. Access and love it! I had heard the Access line of rods were built on the same tapers (originally...I was told it was the same BLANK as the Helios...which I found to be quite suspect at the time) as the Helios line. I think they also share a common method of forming the blanks up in Manchester, VT...which is really nice, because I believe the Access line was initially going to be produced overseas.
I am glad Orvis is doing their part to preserve the tradition of craftsmanship in America. I have been a longtime Orvis customer and a recent CS issue was handled so unbelievably well, that I will remain fiercely loyal to their brand in the future.

The new Clearwaters look sweet for under two bills...and the way Orvis stands behind their products, I would look at it as a minimally risky purchase with a heck of a big upside if you try it and love the rod!

Best of luck!!!
Old 07-08-2012, 01:14 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

This spring I purchased an Access 5wt, 8 1/2' mid flex and I love it. Yellowstone Anglers seem to give the Orvis rods in their 'shoot-out' test lukewarm reviews but I can't hardly buy it. Orvis rods always seem to deliver above and beyond for me. The mid-flex admittedly is more of a presentation rod than some of the super charged fast action rods, but a more traditional feel is what I personally like. I'd like to have an Orvis 'far and fine' full flex even.

I did purchase a St Croix Imperial 9", 4wt , and it is a fine rod for 200 dollars. I tossed at night over which to go with, and I had never tried a St Croix rod so I lived 'on the wild side' and went with a new maker. Without a Clearwater to compare, I have no idea if I made the 'best' choice.

For sake of conversation, here are the url's to Yellowstone Anglers 'shoot-out test' for 4wt rods and 5wt rods. It still didn't change my mind as I am a loyal Orvis man. The 4wt shoot out did not use an Access, only a Helios. The 5wt shoot-out used both an Access and a Helios.

For what it's worth, I outfitted both my 'this year buys' with Access mid-arbor reels. I LOVE those reels.

5wt shoot'out

FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StC roixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK

4wt shoot-out

4weightshootout.bestspringcreekflyrods.dryflyrods. hardyzenith.sageTXL-F.SageONE.WinstonBIIIx.b3x.Beulahrods.CFBurkheimer rods
Old 07-08-2012, 08:59 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I meant to say Orvis 'Superfine' instead of 'far and fine'...my mistake.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:48 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

i've had my new Clearwater 905-4 for about a month now, fished it few weekends on small creeks around Los Angeles, took it up to Northern CA and fished some bigger rivers 2 weeks ago.
i love this rod. but then again it is my first so i dont have much to compare it to.
during basic ORVIS 101 class i did cast Helios in same size and for some reason i did not like it, but when i picked up Clearwater it felt much smoother *(good for me since it is cheaper) i just liked the slower action of the Clearwater.

the only problem so far: there was one really windy day when i was up north and it was very open area, so i was struggling a bit in the wind. but that could be because im still a beginner, but maybe with fast action rod it would have been little easier?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

I just got my new version of the clearwater rod after my other one broke in 3-places. I'am not great with fly rod's I only have tryed 2 and both were the clearwater rod. I have the 7'9'' 5wt and I like the rod alot. It's a little more stiffer than the previous rod but it's so much smooth and I'am casting 50ft with very little afford. The battenkill Reel that I had just wasn't cutting it the reel was off balance so I exchange it for the new Orvis clearwater reel that they have and it's a great match.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:49 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

Is that a plastic cover on the grip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo1987 View Post
I just got my new version of the clearwater rod...

Click the image to open in full size.