The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 PM

tyrannoman is on a distinguished road
Default Albright A5 help needed

Hello,

I have an Albright A5 8wt rod, and I've managed to lose the tip. I've contacted Albright, and they offered me a good price on a new XXT rod, but they don't have any more of the tip sections to offer me. Does anyone have an 8wt A5 they're willing to part with?
Old 07-14-2010, 04:53 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Albright A5 help needed

I have a new, never used A5 in 7wt that I will part with for 100.00 plus UPS shipping if that helps.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:46 AM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrannoman View Post
Hello,

I have an Albright A5 8wt rod, and I've managed to lose the tip. I've contacted Albright, and they offered me a good price on a new XXT rod, but they don't have any more of the tip sections to offer me. Does anyone have an 8wt A5 they're willing to part with?

What is "a good price" I hope at least %50 off, given that they are failing at a contractual obligation.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:51 AM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonsteel View Post
What is "a good price" I hope at least %50 off, given that they are failing at a contractual obligation.
I'm not so sure I'd consider that "failing at a contractual obligation". The OP lost the tip of his rod. How is that Albright's fault?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 AM

tyrannoman is on a distinguished road

It was 50% off, and it's a nice rod. I just hate the fact that I now have 4/5th of a very good rod.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 PM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher1 View Post
I'm not so sure I'd consider that "failing at a contractual obligation". The OP lost the tip of his rod. How is that Albright's fault?
Yes, you are right, I did not read that thoroughly.
$140 for a xxt is a good deal, especially since the replacement cost of the a5 is $129 (if albright decides that they cannot repair a warranteed rod but has to replace it with a new rod)
Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher1 View Post
WWAD?
So let's say that the tip broke 5" down from the tip top- just landing a fish and it broke. What would Albright do then?
"Hey, sorry but we don't have any more A5's, but for an extra $XXX you can get a new Billy Whizbang designed XXT".
Old 07-14-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
WWAD?
So let's say that the tip broke 5" down from the tip top- just landing a fish and it broke. What would Albright do then?
"Hey, sorry but we don't have any more A5's, but for an extra $XXX you can get a new Billy Whizbang designed XXT".
I was going to say the same thing, but decided not to be so negative (not a comment on you, I can sometimes be a old carmudgeon) because I looked at Albrights warranty policy,

rod type tip program repair fee (new section) replacement cost
A-5NS or A-5 $49.99 $39.99 $129.99

So when you buy the rod up front you know that if for some reason they cant replace it (like they are out of tip tops) it will cost $130 to replace, and I half off the xxt would be just $10 more, assuming they are not meaning "half off the retail price" (which is irrelevant because by "retail price" we mean what it would cost if we sold it to stores, who then in turn resold it to you, which we dont do) as what they list as the retail price, as opposed to their price.

Meaning I a assuming they are charging him $140, which since he lost the tip is not a bad deal (but not nearly as good a deal as TFO, which since they are made in the orient they should aspire to match) given that they listed the warranty price as $130 for a replacement.

And to be a carmudgeon, and be explicit, I think their warranty prices are a bit high.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I don't look on it as negative, but asking the question others think about. That's my curse/problem. I've been on Albrights site and am not impressed at all. I think the warranty and the prices on reels and rods are bogus. I've heard some horror stories about their warranty and getting replacements. One that sticks in my mind is a guy bought a reel. He didn't like it and tried to return it. Albright emailed him back and said they wouldn't take it back because it was used. He didn't get his money back because the one he bought was on sale. (Aren't they all on sale anyway?)
Some people like Albright, I'm one that has other ideas. But if you like Albright, it's cool.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I don't look on it as negative, but asking the question others think about. That's my curse/problem. I've been on Albrights site and am not impressed at all. I think the warranty and the prices on reels and rods are bogus. I've heard some horror stories about their warranty and getting replacements. One that sticks in my mind is a guy bought a reel. He didn't like it and tried to return it. Albright emailed him back and said they wouldn't take it back because it was used. He didn't get his money back because the one he bought was on sale. (Aren't they all on sale anyway?)
Some people like Albright, I'm one that has other ideas. But if you like Albright, it's cool.
Yes, they are always on sale. The retail price is artificial since that is what it would cost if they sold to retailers, which they dont.

That is fudged up about the reel. I get emails from albright and they are like "and since you can't try out albright at a store, feel free to return it within X days"

I do not think there prices, for the most part are bogus, but I would tell people to think hard about the warranty prices.