The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 09:29 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Just Ordered a Winston BiiX 9' 5wt

If the green from Twin Bridges captures you, you owe it to yourself to try a BIIt if you're looking for a more bamboo-type action. You'll also save a few ounces of swing weight in the deal.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 AM

jasalvas will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Jasalvas: I'd really be interested in your feedback on the new B2X once you have had some time on the water with it.
Thanks Mcnerney,

I should receive the rod tomorrow, but wont have it on the water till around the end of the month.
Ill do all I can to get it done before then

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
If the green from Twin Bridges captures you, you owe it to yourself to try a BIIt if you're looking for a more bamboo-type action. You'll also save a few ounces of swing weight in the deal.
I don't know Jackster, I just took some photos of my Thomas & Thomas to put it up for sale to fund another purchase... I don't know if I can do it... I picked up the rod from a widow. She told me how much her husband loved the rod. I don't feel quite right puting it up for sale.

I will definitely keep the Biit in mind. So many beautiful casting tools, so many decisions, so limited $$$!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasalvas View Post
I have thrown around the idea of getting a 8'6"4wt rod. Thats where the LT would come into play. It has been a toss up between a Hardy LRH Lightweight, LT, or a bamboo rod, even a Fenwick. I just havent found the right Fenwick. I enjoy fishing bamboo. I currently have a boo rod that needs some repair. I had planned on getting a second grass rod but the LT caught my eye.

Is the LT similar to the IM6 Winston made?

Thanks for the feedback!
If I had to do replace my 486 and wanted to stay with a Green Stick, I would be looking at BIIt and BIIIX. I picked up a IIt and REALLY liked how that rod felt. From what I understand it's a similar taper to the WT, but built with Boron in the butt. Really smooth rod.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:16 AM

So far I have only been able to cast the rod in the yard. 15-60 ft casts smoothly. I look forward to adding some water tension and the tug of a trout. I will also be putting the Thomas and Thomas HS 9' 5WT rod for sale 4pc. Not sure how much to ask for, but if anyone interested let me know.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Fredo,

It sounds like the rod will be swell! I think being able to hit a distance between 20 - 75' with ease is the best kind of rod to fish with. The word ease being taken definitively as in effortless Sounds like you'll be happy with this purchase,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

I do not own the 5 weight, but I do own the 9 foot, 6 weight and the 8 foot, 4 weight and love both of them. Hopefully you enjoy the 5. I have found the 6 weight to be a great all-around fly rod. The 8 foot 4 weight was originally purchased as a niche rod for the driftless region and small northern Michigan streams, however; I have found myself looking for any excuse to use that rod since buying it. Hopefully you enjoy the 5 weight as much as I enjoy the 6 and 4 weights I own.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
If I had to do replace my 486 and wanted to stay with a Green Stick, I would be looking at BIIt and BIIIX. I picked up a IIt and REALLY liked how that rod felt. From what I understand it's a similar taper to the WT, but built with Boron in the butt. Really smooth rod.

Well, it has been a few months, and a few rods later. After about a week of the BIIX, it was sold. The next contestant was a 8'9'' 5wt LT. I loved that it was 5 piece but too damn fast. I came across a BIIT... SMOOTH AS BUTTTTTUH!!! I got a 8'6'' 4wt. Good for the waters I fish. I have a Hardy 8'6'' 5-6wt for thicker waters plus several cane rods, Any way. Damn happy with the BIIT. I actually think I will keep this rod... even fish it! Hahahaha.. Highly recommended!!