The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 AM

jasalvas will become famous soon enough
Default Just Ordered a Winston BiiX 9' 5wt

Yes, B2X. Found one on closeout. My first Winston rod. I currently have a Thomas and Thomas Horizon.

So tell me, What do I have to look forward to???

Smooth casting? Tight Loop throwing??? Fast but sensitive?? Fill me in Winston owners!!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Just Ordered a Winston BiiX 9' 5wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasalvas View Post
Yes, B2X. Found one on closeout. My first Winston rod. I currently have a Thomas and Thomas Horizon.

So tell me, What do I have to look forward to???

Smooth casting? Tight Loop throwing??? Fast but sensitive?? Fill me in Winston owners!!
Everyone is different. It's not a miracle rod, it's not magical. Let the rod do the work for you. Don't force it. I've never cast a Horizon, so I can't make any comparisons there.
The BIix fits MY casting style and that's why I like it (among other things).
Try different lines with it to find out what is the best line for your rod.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I shall delay responding untill you recieve it and cast it side by side with your T&T. Please report to us how it compares in action, feel, weight and workmanship.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Everyone is different. It's not a miracle rod, it's not magical. Let the rod do the work for you. Don't force it. I've never cast a Horizon, so I can't make any comparisons there.
The BIix fits MY casting style and that's why I like it (among other things).
Try different lines with it to find out what is the best line for your rod.
I cast a Winston IM6 about a month ago, lovely little rod. My friend had a Hardy dt5 line on the rod. Good match. My Thomas and Thomas is stiff with out much sensitivity. I love casting the rod, but not fishing it. Thats why I went with the Winston B2X. From what I understand it is a "fast rod" but sensitive at the same time. We will see!

I will do a side by side comparison and write a response.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I shall respond as that is my 'go-to', all-rounder fly rod.
As Mojo said, relax and let the rod do the work. Think of it as having a Type B, relaxed personality instead of a stiff, demanding Type A personality.
If you can learn to use it without a 'crutch' line that is heavier than the rod is rated for, you'll just have to love it!
If you like rods that you have to horse to make work, you probably won't get along with the BIIx. If you like a rod that feels as good at 20' distances as it does at 80' and everywhere in between, you'll like it. The more that is demanded of it, the more the powerful butt sections come into play while the softer tip simply gets out of the way. Since the BIIx, many rod makers came out with rods like it that weren't just one-dimensional in the range the work well at.
Good catch for sure!
HuronRiverDan likes this.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:31 PM

Thanks Jackster!!

I'm totally Type B! I have no problem CASTING a rod, shooting line is cool. Nice little self esteem booster. I'm so excited about this new rod. I have read a few reviews online and from what you say I think I'll be happy. I am very confident in my cast so maybe a DT 5? I read the rod roll cast nicely. we will see, I should receive it by Wednesday, I'll try it in the dark by the time I'm home. I definatly look forward to fishing it.

I really appreciate the feedback Jackster!

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Oh... I forgot to ask. How does the b2x compare in terms of action and sensitivity to the Winston LT?

LT = Light Trout?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't take credit for the description, but have heard from those much more in the know about Winston rods that this one is "uptight" compared to some of the other models. I own a 486 which I enjoy. I don't have experience with T&T rods, most of my experience with fly rods is with Sage. I have found with the BIIX a little bit of a pause in your stroke and practice is key. It is a very tippy rod with a strong butt and has in my opinion wonderful sensitivity.

The BIIIX has more of a progressive taper so I understand. I have not yet brought myself to cast one. Many feel the BIII is a vast improvement over the BII line. The BII series seems to fall into "love it or hate it" As others have said, let this rod do the work. I have found that I can pick up almost any Sage and the adjustment to my stroke comes much faster. The BIIX takes a bit more work to adjust my stroke--hence my comment of practice. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you get it and cast it. Congrats on your purchase, new gear is always fun!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:24 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasalvas View Post
Thanks Jackster!!

I'm totally Type B! I have no problem CASTING a rod, shooting line is cool. Nice little self esteem booster. I'm so excited about this new rod. I have read a few reviews online and from what you say I think I'll be happy. I am very confident in my cast so maybe a DT 5? I read the rod roll cast nicely. we will see, I should receive it by Wednesday, I'll try it in the dark by the time I'm home. I definatly look forward to fishing it.

I really appreciate the feedback Jackster!

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Oh... I forgot to ask. How does the b2x compare in terms of action and sensitivity to the Winston LT?

LT = Light Trout?
I have a LT 586, it's a lot different than the BIIx, it's slower, but faster than a WT. the BIIx is/was fast for a Winston. The MX is faster, and I've never thrown a BIIIx or a T. Any Winston is sensitive as are most well designed graphite rods.
As for lines, 99% of my floating lines are Sharkskin, the rest are Rio Gold and Selective Trout.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 PM

I have thrown around the idea of getting a 8'6"4wt rod. Thats where the LT would come into play. It has been a toss up between a Hardy LRH Lightweight, LT, or a bamboo rod, even a Fenwick. I just havent found the right Fenwick. I enjoy fishing bamboo. I currently have a boo rod that needs some repair. I had planned on getting a second grass rod but the LT caught my eye.

Is the LT similar to the IM6 Winston made?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jasalvas: I'd really be interested in your feedback on the new B2X once you have had some time on the water with it.