The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tips For Buying Used Rods;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
After seeing some of these rods and reels that get torn up by that stuff, why would anyone use it? Anyone got an explanation for this? I would expect them to discontinue it once this started to happen.
There had been a lot of discounted sharkskin on the market lately, so maybe they have.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:11 AM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Ard, excellent advice, thanks for sharing.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 06-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You're welcome Keven,

Where have you been? The forum isn't the same when people fade away for too long

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-20-2012, 09:58 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Great post... I've bought two used rods on eBay in the last year and got both for about $100 less than I should have. This post gives me good insight as to the "why" behind my savings. I did not realize certain parts of what was causing me to get such good deals (although I will say that patiently watching for months helps a great deals with savings as well... I waited for six months to find that Z at the price I was willing to pay, and the guy had a buy it now option so after some quick inquiries, I bit within the first day it was listed)

One rod, a Sage 599, had been a little beaten up on the blank (which was fine by me, I planned on it getting a little beaten up by heavy nymphs, weight, etc.). The other, a z axis which I got in great shape for about $315, was missing the original sock and tube (apparently they got left on a riverside never to be seen again). I decided that I wanted it badly enough for my everyday rod that I didn't need those, though I might just pony up and have Sage send me a tube one of these days.

I've been doing the eBay thing for about as long as its been popular, but only in the last year did I begin to get fly gear this way. If I have anyone who asks me about fly gear on eBay, I'll direct them here!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks thewalker.
After reading your post above, I thought that I'd have a look at Craigslist just to see what I was missing out on.
Well I just bought 4 rods and a reel
My wife better not find out
Hardyreels and thewalker1013 like this.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Being patient; not jumping on the bidding - buying wagon is a real key for on-line rod buying. I can't say it enough, ask questions, lots of questions about the condition of the rod. When buying old fiberglass I learned a new hidden danger; split cork rings! The full flexing rods flex all the way into the grip and sometimes this will split a handle. I don't just mean separate the cork rings where they were glued, I mean break them in places where the old contact cement that was used has lost its bond.

So.....when after an old glass rod that is a thousand miles away......ask about the cork. Ask the seller to examine it and to flex it a little to look for splits. If they don't reply or act as if you're crazy, you may not want to deal with them.
imxer likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-12-2013, 09:56 AM

derelict is on a distinguished road

Glad I found this thread. Here is a question for you: What about warranties? Im in the market for an 8 weight and have been checking eBay for weeks to find different rod options. My question is about the different companies and how they would treat, say a broken tip, coming from someone who is not the original owner? I know that it varies from company to company but am curious. Buying used can get you a better rod for less money but even the best rod can break. Would I then be stuck with a $300 wall hanger?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at a used Sage, and the warranty card had already been sent in. I called Sage, and asked how much they would charge for a new tip section if I broke it. They said $150 w/o a warranty. With a warranty, they still charge $50, so if the price is right, you might be getting a deal (especially if it's a discontinued rod and not available new). I've only broken one rod in 35 years, and that was in a truck door (18 yrs old, and no case ).

As far as ebay, I'd look at the person's feedback, as well as the other items they're selling. I've seen sellers with a feedback score in the thousands, but they're mostly selling plates and salt shakers. If a seller is mostly selling fly fishing gear, I'd feel much more comfortable.

A strong light and a magnifying lens should be used once you receive the rod, and run along every inch of the rod. That's what I do with new rods. You never know....

P.S. Ard Wrote:
One more thing, do not get caught up in bidding when the price is spiraling upward. Know what the rod is worth and stop there.
I found myself doing that a couple of times, determined to win at any cost. I have a max amount now, and won't go a dime higher. I don't buy collectible gear, and the stuff I'm looking for comes along regularly.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:42 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I was looking at a used Sage, and the warranty card had already been sent in. I called Sage, and asked how much they would charge for a new tip section if I broke it. They said $150 w/o a warranty. With a warranty, they still charge $50, so if the price is right, you might be getting a deal (especially if it's a discontinued rod and not available new).
I use this logic quite a bit when looking used.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:29 PM
sbreech

The key to bidding on Ebay is to know what you want, have a maximum you will spend, and not bid until the last 30 seconds or less.... Some people call that sniping, but if the other bidder has bid their maximum amount they are willing to spend, and so have you, and you win, who cares? All is fair in love and Ebay...
imxer and lacanadio like this.