The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 11:55 PM

rogerchriswell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tips For Buying Used Rods;

i had a problem with the sharkskin eating away at my line gaud then i had a buddy that showed me the orvis 3d line it is the same thing as the sharkskin minos the noise and the groove that you get from stripping it
Old 01-14-2013, 09:59 AM

derelict is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
Some people call that sniping, but if the other bidder has bid their maximum amount they are willing to spend, and so have you, and you win, who cares? All is fair in love and Ebay...
I do this and am usually mad when people dont do this. Driving up the price needlessly.

So, is there a list of trusted sources for good used equipment?
Leland Fly Fishing
Up Country (Farmington River) <= Ive bought from them

Any others?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
So, is there a list of trusted sources for good used equipment?
Leland Fly Fishing
Up Country (Farmington River) <= Ive bought from them
Any others?
Len Codella's immediately comes to mind as does Rick's Rods.
If you're in CT you should check out the CT Fly Fisherman's Association's. Expo in S. Windsor on February 2
I know that there'll be some used rods there. I usually can't go home without one.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Fishwest also has an upgrade/trade in program. I haven't purchased something from them specific to this but have dealt with them for other purchases and have been nothing but pleased.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbreech View Post
The key to bidding on Ebay is to know what you want, have a maximum you will spend, and not bid until the last 30 seconds or less.... Some people call that sniping, but if the other bidder has bid their maximum amount they are willing to spend, and so have you, and you win, who cares? All is fair in love and Ebay...
I've become quite good at this... have won quite a few auctions by watching the last 60sec of a bid... and then putting in one more bid at 20sec.. w/ a increase limit of like $5.. which has come in handy when others also want to get in one last bid but don't set up their auto-bid...

Auctions that also end at like 2-6am are usually really easy to take away from another bidder too
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this one has been added or not but it happened to me recently so I'll post it.

When a rod is advertised as with warranty card, make sure you see a photo of the blank card. A rod I purchased recently was advertised as such but unfortunately it was what's left after the completed card has been sent in. In my case, I consider myself lucky because the price was good and the rod is absolutely mint. I couldn't even tell if it had ever been assembled.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 PM

derelict is on a distinguished road

Would you buy a rod that was previously broken but repaired by the factory under warranty? Im looking at picking up a rod that had a broken tip but was reconditioned by the factory. It looks to be in as new condition but is a couple years old.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi derelict,

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
Would you buy a rod that was previously broken but repaired by the factory under warranty? Im looking at picking up a rod that had a broken tip but was reconditioned by the factory. It looks to be in as new condition but is a couple years old.
It's the " Reconditioned by the factory " that I find to be unusual language. If that's the sellers language, I'd ask for a clarification. Reconditioned vs. Tip Replacement.

Other than that, I'd have no problem with it, if it was a current or recently discontinued series. Since most of the big name companies replace the broken section and in some cases the entire rod.
I might want to inspect the rod before purchasing, just to check for gunwale scrapes or chips from fly or shot strikes.
At least the seller is being honest in telling you this about the rods history. They could easily have withheld that info and with the quality control that most of the name brands have with their warranty section replacements, you'd never have known.

Now if you're looking at this rod from a collectors point of view, I'd prefer it be all original.

TT
jaybo41 likes this.

Last edited by trout trekker; 01-25-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I just added another lesson learned to this thread on the opening post about reel seats.

Here is the addition;

The Reel Seat; I recently bought a Hardy Swift 2 hand rod from a fellow who described it as "used a couple times and as new" I was excited to find this rod out of Canada for $250 plus 45 for shipping and took it. When it arrived and I removed it from the tube and rod bag I found (within seconds) that a reel foot had been forced into the receiver of the rod so hard that it had broken the hardware on the butt section of the seat & fractured the cork of the rear grip. This was immediately noticed on my end but far too late, so be careful of reel seats!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2013, 04:44 PM

josie will become famous soon enough

Excellent post.
If i may share an experience. I purchased a sage rpl 968 from ebay. The rod was being sold by a fly fishing shop. The description given was excellent condition showing the usual signs of wear. Ok i can live with that. The purchase price was reasonable and was right in my budget. Love those rpl rods. When i received the rod it looked to be in the condition as described. To my surprise and disappointment was to learn that the real seat was damaged. The only way to know this was to put the reel onto the seat. It was a long, quiet ride home from the river that morning.
I eventually sent the rod to sage for warranty work. Sage replaced the reel seat and cork. The cost incurred was the $50.00 warranty fee and the shipping. Lesson learned i guess. In the end that rpl is the rod i reach for the most when heading out to fish the great lake tributaries.
Hardyreels likes this.