The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Tips For Buying Used Rods;

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie View Post
Excellent post.
If i may share an experience. I purchased a sage rpl 968 from ebay. The rod was being sold by a fly fishing shop. The description given was excellent condition showing the usual signs of wear. Ok i can live with that. The purchase price was reasonable and was right in my budget. Love those rpl rods. When i received the rod it looked to be in the condition as described. To my surprise and disappointment was to learn that the real seat was damaged. The only way to know this was to put the reel onto the seat. It was a long, quiet ride home from the river that morning.
I eventually sent the rod to sage for warranty work. Sage replaced the reel seat and cork. The cost incurred was the $50.00 warranty fee and the shipping. Lesson learned i guess. In the end that rpl is the rod i reach for the most when heading out to fish the great lake tributaries.
Hi Josi,

Sorry to hear that, I just added 'Reel Seat' to the list of things to watch for only 3 weeks ago. I to had a problem with a used rods reel seat and just received e-mail today telling me the rod has came from the UK and is on it's way back to me.

There are thousands of perfectly good used fly rods for sale every day. As a buyer, we must ask every possible question regarding overall integrity of the item. When you can't examine the rod in person before paying to ship it to you the questions are our only protection.

Lesson learned by both of us,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;