The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Questions

I know that once Ard reads this, I'll likely get read the Riot Act....

What is the difference between the original Orvis Far and Fine and the Orvis Far and Fine Superfine? I've done some searching and can't find anything.

Secondly, I am the proud owner (who has not received it yet, so I'm not TOO proud) of an Orvis Far and Fine Superfine 7'9" 5wt. In my mind, can be a quintessential dry fly rod. Ard kinda derailed my quest for a bamboo rod...

So...right now I have a BBS I and a BBSII. The BBSII is loaded with a WF4 that I use on a 7ft St. Croix Imperial 3wt (much older model). I was wondering if I move the WF4 to the BBSI, do you consider the BBSII a good fit for the F&F? The real answer will be, you'll just have to try it and see. I'm looking for opinions...

I'd be sorta confused if Ard doesn't chime in here.

Last edited by axle27; 05-10-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Questions

I got it, my understanding was that around about 1987 Orvis began using a second generation graphite that although is said to have the same action properties as the original Uni directional modulus design of the first series was in fact a different configuration of the shafts. I hope that made sense.

The old Orvis Fiber glass and the graphite that was introduced around 1974 were designed and tapered to mimic the actions of their bamboo rods. The thinking was med - full flexing rods that would feel somewhat familiar to users but that would cast farther without stressing the rods. That is my Layman's understanding of why the old rods are different. However, as I think i said when we talked Robert, I bought a 7' 9" Far & Fine as a gift for my fishing buddy back in 1992 and have had opportunity to fish with the rod. It seemed to work very well, it did feel different than my 1979 but I would struggle to recall exactly in what way.

I will be in Pennsylvania in a week and have shipped some of my rods there ahead of my arrival. The 7'9" is one of them and I will be meeting with my friend who has the 1992 rod so i will do a side by side test and report. I'm sure you'll love the rod Robert,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;