The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 10:42 PM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough
Default Reel pairing for Sage One 5wt?

I've been saving for a new 5wt sage/one from a local fly shop here in St. Louis,MO and have been reading so much on reels and not sure what to pair with it. On other set ups I have , I've had great luck with Galvan reels. I'm open to thoughts. Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 PM

ultralightidaho is on a distinguished road

I like the sage 4250, or just about any lamson reel.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reel pairing for Sage One 5wt?

If you like Galvan reels, stick with them.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Fortunatly you are purchasing the rod from your local fly shop. This afffords you the benifit of matching a reel with it that balances correctly. My choice for the same rod turned out to be a tad too lite and wound up on a #4 outfit. Balance is more important than what the reel maker says its line weight designation is. Reels to consider, as I am, are Hatch, Hardy Ultralite DD, Nauatilus NV 5/6, Sage or Abel Super Narrow. All these are reels whoes performance matches the ONE and are narrow enough to retrive line intuitivly. The Galvan might be OK too, I have no experience with them but avoid the Waterworks/Lamson products untill they come out with a narrow spool width model.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 AM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Im from the school that says reel weight doesnt really matter a lick. A rod with good swing will feel good no matter what the reel is attached to it.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:43 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

What Mosca said. If you like Galvan stick with them. A Torque is the creme de la creme, but the Rush LT series will have the same drag. If you are going Galvan, I would stick with one of these two.

Abels are great reels too but obviously have a more hefty price tag. I don't have experience with Hatch or Nautilus reels, but they seem to get great reviews. No first hand experience with the Hardy DD, but Hardy knows a little something about making fly reels. This one seems to get rave reviews.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:24 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Fortunatly you are purchasing the rod from your local fly shop. This afffords you the benifit of matching a reel with it that balances correctly. My choice for the same rod turned out to be a tad too lite and wound up on a #4 outfit. Balance is more important than what the reel maker says its line weight designation is. Reels to consider, as I am, are Hatch, Hardy Ultralite DD, Nauatilus NV 5/6, Sage or Abel Super Narrow. All these are reels whoes performance matches the ONE and are narrow enough to retrive line intuitivly. The Galvan might be OK too, I have no experience with them but avoid the Waterworks/Lamson products untill they come out with a narrow spool width model.
You're saying that you like to have a heavier reel on the ONE? I found it so light that I was going to use the Hatch 4 on something else?? I put a Litespeed 2 on it and it matches for me. When we are talking about 4-5.5 oz reels I think this might be a little subjective given small difference. The hatch I have is the old model, and I think is 5.6oz; I noticed it on the butt end of the rod while I was using it. The Litespeed is 4.0oz (I think) and it just disappears when I put it on there. Not that I couldn't fish with either option. I'm just curious why you don't favor the wide shallow spools of the Lamsons; just because they are too light in your opinion?
Old 05-10-2012, 03:11 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Hi Ausable, The reel I intended is 3.8 oz. OK. it would work but I do not like the tip drope feeling when I am gently cradeling the rod awaiting the big boy to rise again. Something a 1/2 oz. heavier would make me happier. I know this sounds like splitting hairs but any minuet now, UPS will be here with a new 9'/#4 and the 3.8 oz. FWX 5/6 will likely be perfect for it!

Regarding the Lamson and its kin. I have nothing personal against the Waterworks Co. and there is much about their design/construction philosophy I find attractive. However, please read my post on "Wide/Shallow Aspect Ratios". I deem it a serious design flaw to enlarge the arbor and then widen it to generate capacity. Yes I understand the notion that diameter reduction alters drag setting but FISHING comes before drag consistency theory and, as the story aptly illustrates, wide is counter-intuitive to even line retrieval. All my reels, narrow though they are, have snug, uniform line wound on at all times. I am old fashioned and pay attention but I do not wish for that attention to be subtractive from my fish fighting experiences. I have pleaded with Waterworks to offer a fishing-friendly narrower (less than an inch) width model and when and if they do I will be first in line with kudos. Untill then, the Hardy Ultralite DD offers a superior design option and a better drag too.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:39 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
However, please read my post on "Wide/Shallow Aspect Ratios". I deem it a serious design flaw to enlarge the arbor and then widen it to generate capacity. Yes I understand the notion that diameter reduction alters drag setting but FISHING comes before drag consistency theory and, as the story aptly illustrates, wide is counter-intuitive to even line retrieval. All my reels, narrow though they are, have snug, uniform line wound on at all times. I am old fashioned and pay attention but I do not wish for that attention to be subtractive from my fish fighting experiences. I have pleaded with Waterworks to offer a fishing-friendly narrower (less than an inch) width model and when and if they do I will be first in line with kudos. Untill then, the Hardy Ultralite DD offers a superior design option and a better drag too.
Interesting take you have on this; I would think that drag inconsistency and slower line rate retrieval are more inhibitive to FISHING than uneven line winding. I do agree that a wide arbor design is counter-intuitive to even line winding, but I can't see how this would ever inhibit fishing. If you leave a little space, all of the uneven winding you could possibly encounter won't foul up your spool; at least it hasn't ever been a problem for me.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Interesting take you have on this; I would think that drag inconsistency and slower line rate retrieval are more inhibitive to FISHING than uneven line winding. I do agree that a wide arbor design is counter-intuitive to even line winding, but I can't see how this would ever inhibit fishing. If you leave a little space, all of the uneven winding you could possibly encounter won't foul up your spool; at least it hasn't ever been a problem for me.
I am not saying the drag is inconsistant, Waterworks is. I have no issues with this problem on any quality reel. There is precious little vertical space on wide/shallow reels to begin with and needing to reduce capacity to make up for their poor design is yet another good reason to avoid their products. Again, read the story about the gentleman that loved their reels and the end results and he is a highly experienced angler. Abel, Hardy, Hatch and more are addressing this important issue by taking the design of the backing/line holding area seriously. Abel is redesigning the entire line up to be taller and narrower as has Hardy on their newest high performance reels.

Though we are writing about a trout set up in this thread, my view on this subject was formed in the salt where large, fast fish take a lot of colored string off the reel and you need to regain it uniformly. As stated in my post, small stream trout fishers may not view this as a major issue and perhaps it is not. It is, however, a reel design issue of significance worthey of serious contemplation and discussion.