The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 11:47 PM

mhclayton is on a distinguished road
Default Loomis Fly Rods

I am partial to the Loomis rods and have a 22 year old 7 weight and a new Streamdance GLX 6 weight that I really love. I am looking at 8 weights to use on Salmon and big rainbows in Alaska, and wonder how the Crosscurrent, Native Run and GLX classics compare as far as action?? The classic GLX looks pretty plain compared with the others, but I mostly care about how it works as a fishing tool.. I prefer a medium-fast action. I have cast the Native Run and loved it, but haven't been able to find any Cross Current or classic GLX rods here in NM for comparison.. Anyone out there have any insight? Thanks, MC
Old 11-21-2007, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Loomis Fly Rods

Hi mhclayton,

Well you are all over the map with the rods you are looking at. I have not cast them but here are my thoughts. If you prefer a med-fast action you may find the Cross Currant salt water rod a bit fast. The GL3 in the Classic is a med-fast rod and that may work for you. The GL3 is a mid-priced rod and won't be finished as well as the more expensive Loomis rods. You might want to look at the Steelhead/Salmon series. It is available in the GL3 configuration in the med-fast action. I think you will find the GL3 rods are a little heavier than the GLX and be careful that some come only in two piece. For Alaska you will want a 4 piece rod. Maybe someone who has cast this rods will give us their opinion.

Frank