The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 03:25 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Another help me decide thread

I need some input on if I "need" something or if I am dreaming up an excuse to buy another rod. What I am wondering if I should make the leap and buy a 10' rod for nymphing. Those of you local here to Denver will know these waters but they are smallish.I typically fish the Poudre, the Big Thompson, St Vrain and Rocky mt park alot. I also do most of my fishing July-Sep when it is dry fly heaven around here. Since I typically fish nymphs Feb-May and that might be 8 times or so a year total do I need a 10 footer based on my current line up

7'6" 3wt ( 2 of them )
7'10" 3wt
7'10"4wt
9' 4wt ( 2 of them )

Should I just use the 9' four weight and call it good ? I just dont really want to buy another rod I might use twice a year especially considering the ones I am looking at. If you answer yes tell me which weight an why. I am concerned a 3wt is a little to light for big stones and heavy wire nymphs.

Sage One 10' 4wt
Hardy zenith
any of 9' 3wt , 10' 3wt , 10' 4wt
Scott A4 10' 4Wt

I dont mind spending the money I just dont want to throw it away.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:38 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Another help me decide thread

I would set one of the 4wts up with a nymph friendly line and the other keep as a committed dry fly rig. If you're on "smallish" waters I don't see the point in adding a foot to the rod or buying another rod just to nymph. That's just me though...
Old 05-11-2012, 03:42 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, I'm still learning the benefits of same weight/different lengths, so I won't be much definitive help to you....

That said, I don't think that thre's such a thing as owning too many rods (unless you listen to my wife!).

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll play the roll of party pooper and let you in on a secret.

From December 1979 through sometime in 1994 I used one rod. Yep, one rod for everything, dries - wets - nymphs - and plenty of streamers. 7' 9" five weight graphite. I guess I waited until I thought I really needed another rod before I went off the rails.
I have about 20 now

What I don't have are several rods in the same weight that differ by a few inches. I tried that a couple times and after realizing the redundancy I sold some rods. I've said before, don't get me wrong I like tackle. I like really nice rods and reels but if you are fortunate enough to find something that works well you could do what I did. Instead of buying more and more tackle between 79' and 94' I used every cent I could scrape together to travel. By taking that course I was able to see the continent from end to end - top to bottom. Granted I had to do it all with just that one rod (I did have a backup rod that was given to me but only used it once that I remember) but you would be amazed at the trips I could afford in part because I kept the tackle budget under control.

Remember, I said I would be the party pooper so don't yell at me
imxer likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-11-2012, 07:32 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

So I will try to adress all the replies so far in one shot

1) I am really leaning towards this option. Last time I went with the express purpose of nymphing I took the 9' 4wt and it worked great. Handled the wind, coulld throw double beadheads size 14 easily.

2) I firmly agree there is no such thing as to many rods, but I am trying to maximize my value. The lengths are basically determined by where I will be fishing, tight brushy creeks or big open rivers. Weight for expected size of fish and weight of flies being used as well as wind. I have similar length 3wts in different models. I find the slower one presents dries very softly and whle the faster one does a great job it also handles dry/droppers better in a bit of breeze

3) Ard it is sort of odd how I ended up with so many rods of the same length. For the multiple 3Wts I had 2 3wts and broke one about a week before my dad came out for vacation. So I bought one for him to use. I got the repaired one back and sold one of them. I then ran across such a screaming deal on a TXL 3wt I couldnt pass it up. After loving the TXL I thought I would want to try one in a 4WT. I looked in the classifieds on this forum and a guy who lives 30 minutes from me happened to be selling one.....bought it and it is awesome. The 7'6" 3WTZXL was again me thinking a slower rod than the TXL would be awesome for pure dry fly fishing and getting a screamin deal on a non used demo rod. As far a the two 9' 4WT's I had a Legend Ultra and my wife bought me a Z-Axis for my birthday.

As strange as it sounds I work with alot of people who want to or are learning to fly fish. As well as a great friend who loves fly fishing plus my dad visits everyother year for a fishing trip. So I dont mind having duplicates or similars so I can set people up with good gear when we go if they dont happen to have some. I guess besides loving the sport I keep extra gear for friends / family to use. I have an extra vest, net , fly boxes, leader , tippet etc etc for who ever wants to go.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:54 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

As a bit of a dissenting voice, I think that a foot does make a difference between the 9' and 10', and I prefer my 10'ers in most situations where there is any line management occurring, or you're high-sticking nymphs. I think a 10' 3wt would be an awesome nymphing rig. And for the record, I'd love to head out your way to fish, and I wouldn't worry a bit about forgetting anything, hahaha.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-12-2012, 11:25 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm along the lines with Ard, my trout rods are a 7'6" 3wt and a 7'9" 5wt and I fish alot of mid sized water and never feel the need for anything longer. For me its more about the right positioning and getting there in a way so I don't blow the spot when I need to take line off the surface I just reach my arm out to take up the slack. If I were to fish nymphs alot I might go up to a 9 footer but I use nymphs as my last resort. Before that comment gets an elitest lable I just like to see a top water take or feel the tug from a swung streamer or wet. So based on Comeonavs statement that he might only nymph 8 or so times a year on 'smallish' water I would rather pick up a double taper or long belly line to put on an extra spool opposed to a new rod.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:26 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

10' is nice for high sticking nymphs, but you can get by with a 9 footer. On the other hand 10' is too long in a lot of other situations, because you need a lot of clearance to make a cast.

How often do you plan to fish that way? If not very often, either try to get by with your 9, or else look for a bargain on a used or closeout 10. For instance, Lower Forty Outfitters here in Mass. recently had one of last year's TFO Professional 10' 5 wts on clearance for about $125. I have read that a lot of Western guides like that rod for nymphing. (Google it if you're interested. It may still be available, and they will ship phone orders.)
Old 05-12-2012, 11:38 AM

Thank you guys for the perspective. I am glad there was a few dissenting voices since just this morning a 11' 3WT Greys streamflex in superb condition hit Craigslist 20 minutes from me.Kind of depressing, I want new waders but I only use them maybe 8 times a year after that it is wet wading for me,so no point.I have a new vest, new Simms headwater hip pack, tons and tons of leader and tippets.

PS I am not rich, I do have a good job and on a monthly basis I get close to $300 in cash for mileage reimbursement which goes right in the gun safe and my wife doesnt know. So after a few months of no new acquisitions I end up with a fair amount of MMDKA. I dont always uy gear with the money. I paid for my nephew to go on his band trip to Canada a few months ago and that was $500. I gave my brother $1000 to help get his feet under him after moving states and starting a new business.

And Ard your view of saving the money for travel, I already bought a travel trailer so I can go up and down the Rockies for multiple night trips. I traveled 32 weeks last year for work so if I got on a plane to go fishing my wife just might kill me.

Maybe just maybe its time to take a guided trip somewhere to expand my knowledge base and learn some new waters
Old 05-12-2012, 03:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems as though you've made up your mind but I'll add to the discussion for whatever its worth to you.

I have one 10ft rod, which is a 10ft 7wt that is used for chasing Great Lakes Steelbows. It's darn near perfect for that application, but it really is a stick that has one niche and as Gator mentioned, is excellent with line management. I know the 10ft rods are all the rage right now, but based on your own description, it will get limited use.

I fish medium to large size streams with a 490 and throw everything from small to larger dries, single nymphs, double nymphs,weighted nymphs and streamers with it. I have no issue with line management or covering a lot of water with it. It's darn near the perfect stick. When I am fishing smaller water, I'll go down to a 486 or 489. The caveat to this is that my 490's are faster action, whereas the 486 and 489 are medium to medium fast and are probably better suited for dries and single nymphing.

If you are looking to add a stick to the quiver, maybe think about a 486 or one that you will get use out of if say you want to put somebody else on a rod, or one that you will find greater use from. A 10 foot rod, I'd have to imagine would not be ideal for dry flies for example, whereas a 486 or another 490 would be a better choice for a greater variety of bug types. Looking at your current lineup that's what's missing--though my disclaimer is that I don't fish in your area and am not familiar with your waters or the best suited sticks.

Don't want to shy you away from a 10 footer if you think it will add a dimension to your game, but I've read a lot of folks who have got into the 10ft game for trout who end up selling them because they are more one dimensional tools. Although they do seem to excel in their space.

I'm of the opinion that a good guide or guided trip can be worth its weight in gold if you are looking to learn new techniques or water.

Lastly, I too have been adding to my quiver over the past couple of years and am suffering from new gear syndrome. Have always been a gear junkie One thing I've found is that while it gives me joy to fish a variety, I sometimes find myself having to concentrate when casting some of the rods as the action and performance varies. Versus when I had one rod that I got very comfortable and proficient with, I could just get out and fish with very little thought to what I was doing. Its a tradeoff and I have no regrets. Just adding additional perspective.