The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Travel rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/276327-travel-rods.html)

FISHN50 05-13-2012 09:08 AM

Travel rods

I'm looking for 2 back up travel rods & need some recommendations. One is a 5-6 WT for fresh water & the other 8-9 wt for the salt. My travel duffel will hold a 30" rod in case. I'm looking to spend about $300. max for them both. I have the reels. A switch rod is not out of the question if I can get one that packs short enough.
Also I'd like a recommendation for a 8-9 wt. bonefish line. My old SA is about had it.
Rather than ck stores, adds etc. I figured I'd ask here & get the real life reports & info from a wider source....

thanks

Neil

grassonfly 05-13-2012 09:55 AM

Re: Travel rods

why not get a 7 weight for both. get a 7 weight BVK. Its 250. You arnt going to get the best rods for 300 for both. The orvis hydros fly line is very popular on this site. I like the cortland bonefish.

MoscaPescador 05-13-2012 11:36 AM

Hi Neil,
Today there are a bunch of good 5/6 rated trout rods under $300. Is there a particular action that you prefer to fish?

As for the 8/9, there are plenty of options, too. The TFO BVK is a good option. It is a great casting rod. However if you like to horse your fish in, it may lack some butt strength. If you wish to have a rod from TFO with a stiffer butt section, you may want to consider an Axiom.

There are a lot of quality Bonefish lines on the market.
SA Mastery Bonefish Taper - A wonderful distance Bonefish line.
SA Mastery Redfish Taper - A wonderful close-in Bonefish line. If you are casting at bones within 30 feet, this is a great choice.
Wulff Bermuda Tropical Triangle Taper - It could be the best all around tropical line. It casts well at varying distances with varying types of flies.

Dennis

williamhj 05-13-2012 02:56 PM

Check out Albright fly fishing. I have a 6wt of theirs (the topwater) and it's a nice rod. Fished that rod and a 4wt of theirs till I switched to ones I built. They are on sale for $75 right now.

fredaevans 05-13-2012 05:08 PM

Goggle up Cabala's they have quite a collection of travel rods and many are 'dirt cheap' even for the 'all in kits.' I've a 3wt and a 5wt that I got from them and I'm very pleased with both.

fae

FISHN50 05-13-2012 08:41 PM

Thanks for the reply's. I'm heading to Cabela's this Tues & I'm going to see what they have. Like I said I'm just looking for backup trip rods so I'm looking for fishable not pretty rods. I might even pick up 2 blanks & build them.

Neil