The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2007, 02:58 PM

ZGreenlee is on a distinguished road
Default Reel seat replacement

Happy Thanksgiving!

I was hoping someone could tell me how to reinstall a reel seat that has come off of my dad's old fly rod. He still wants to use this old rod but can't without reattaching it. Is there a special sort of glue I should use.

Please keep it basic, I have never even tried to build a fly rod and know nothing about the repair. Thanks in advance!

Zach
Old 11-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Reel seat replacement

Hi Zach,

You comments tell me you should check with your local fly shop and see if they know someone who does repairs. You don't say what kind of rod it is. If it is bamboo or an expensive graphite rod it will be worth while fixing. If it is an older glass rod then it isn't worth repairing unless you do it yourself. If you want to give it a go and it is not an expensive rod, you can use any water proof 2-part epoxy. An epoxy that is thick is the best. Mud Hole has the epoxy you need and they can also give you any parts or information you need. I would start by getting one of their catalogs.

Frank
Old 11-22-2007, 07:01 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

even if its old glass do it right they are bringing good money on the market now..make sure you have all the pieces right and use 5 min epoxy to reaply the reel seat..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-22-2007, 08:34 PM

Yeah it is an old glass rod. my pop wants to keep using it, so we're just looking for any fix. Thanks for the help. I'll look it up. Cheers!
Old 11-23-2007, 03:30 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

two part epoxy, the type you can find at most hardware stores or eben target would work but if you go that route for ease of buying locally, i'd sugest the type of 2-part epoxy in the twin plungers with a longer set time than 5 mins. i've just run into quite a few mistakes made with it from reading other forums.

i think the best stuff to use is U40's Rod bond, about $12 for the two part paste-like stuff. just scoop out a bit of the resin, and then scoop out an equal amount of the hardener. you can be off a bit so i just use plastic spoons. most rod building supply vendors carry it, probably even cabelas for online or phone ordering ease. you'll have more than enough which is a good excuse to take up rodbuilding :-) rod bond is made for rods and results in a great bond, meteal to metal, wood to metal, plastic to metal, etc. it takes about a day to set which allows time to correct fit if things should shift during the assembly and dry times. it's a firm but slightly flexible bond. it also works well for other household needs.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:28 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGreenlee View Post
Happy Thanksgiving!

I was hoping someone could tell me how to reinstall a reel seat that has come off of my dad's old fly rod. He still wants to use this old rod but can't without reattaching it. Is there a special sort of glue I should use.

Please keep it basic, I have never even tried to build a fly rod and know nothing about the repair. Thanks in advance!

Zach
Looking at the butt section where the seat is mounted...is the blank visible or is there some sort of a filler to increase the blank diameter to fit the ID of the seat...I assume it's an aluminum seat? 1/ make sure the filler is epox/glued to the blank 2/ then glue the seat to the filler using epox with at least 30 minute set time 3/ before the glue sets wipe off the excess with either acetone or laquer thinner(I use a 50/50 mix of hardware store acetone and laquer thinner for my solvent and make that you recheck guide alignment with seat alignment after wiping off excess glue. I assume it's a fresh water down locking seat you will need to cover the seat threads with making tape so you do not get epox excess covering the threads as you push the seat on from the back...even with solvent it's hard to get wet epox off fine threads without upsetting seat alignment
Old 11-23-2007, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a shot.