Elkhorn rods and reels

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never handled one but I took a look at the web site. Unless everything in the 'About Us' section is a farce they sound like a got it together outfit. I checked the prices on the split cane rods and they are not dirt cheap nor are they out of bounds. Sometimes all you can do is try a product and go from there.

As far as where they are made.......... If I only used Made in America stuff I would be sitting here naked writing this. I have a couple cheap S. Korean rods that have caught about 100 salmon and I like them fine. I like my Orvis USA rods & now old Hardy rods made in the UK but I have no problem with the Korean sticks at all. If the finish is good and the action sweet, couple that with a good price and you still have gas money :cool:

FISHN50

Reaction score
I picked up a 10wt outfit at the Somerset, NJ FF show quite a few years ago & used it in the salt. I liked the rod for blues & striped bass but one day we got into some false albies & on about the 4th one the reel just came apart. I lost the fish, Fly, & line. At the next show I brought it to the booth & they replaced the reel no problem.
I guess they came a long way since then because a few friends have them & use the setup pretty regularly. I still carry the setup around as a backup & have loaned it out on occasion & haven't had any more problems with it.
The bottom line opinion is: on a scale of 1 to 10 the rod scores about an 8 & the reel 5..... IMHO. But like I said i hear they got their act together now...

comeonavs

Reaction score
Ill chime in since I drive by their shop almost everytime I go fishing. Long story associated with them

My friend got me a great job in a new industry to me a few years back. Being a recession and all I had a decent hole to dig out of ( not bad since I am a low debt kind of guy) . I had like $400 and I wanted to do somethingnce for my friend and fly fishing buddy. He had always talked about getting a Sage TXL 0 or 1 wt. I had read about Elkhorn rods then googled their adress and they are about 20 miles from me. On a whim I drove up to check the place out. The owner Brian was super friendly even without me indicating I might make a purchase. We started shooting the breeze and I mentioned my friend was in the 1wt market. He showed me the rod and reel and it was pretty nice. I then confessed I wanted to buy him the Sage he always talked about. Brian proceeds to tell me quite simply buy his rod / reel setup give it to my friend to go fish and if he doesnt like it 100% money back guarantee ( I assume this isnt standard for all sales ***disclaimer) . He said if he doesnt like it he can use the $ for a down payment on the Sage. I pulled the trigger and bought it and gave it to my friend. The next day we went and when we were done I said be honest is it ok and he laughed he loved the rod. I told him to take it back if he wants and he refused. At this point I had a TFO 1wt I never used because my casting stroke sucked so bad it just didnt work. He handed it to me I cast it and my TFO was on craigslist the next day.

Off I go a week later to get my Elkhorn 1wt, Brian laughed and asked if we ordered a Sage.....nope Brian I am here to get another one. I also grabbed a 3wt while I was there to replace a St Croix Avid that was infor repairs ( fell on my bum and broke my rod).

Fast forward two years and I am in a local shop buying some gadgets or whatever and the sales guy starts talking me up. Asks what is my favorite rod so I tell him I love my 3 piece TXL's in 3 and 4wt. Smart guy he is hands me the TXLf 1wt and says you'll love this. I told him you know I cant justify pulling the trigger on this when I have a 1wt I love. I told him it was the Elkhorn 1WT and he grinned put the TXLF back in the rack and said "me too thats why I dontown that TXLf"

Ive read great things about repair service even though I've yet to need it. I do tend to gravitate to higher end rods but rest assured I will buy more Elkhorns when the time is right. I might even go test their bamboo rod just for giggles :D

hawkeyeflyfisher

Reaction score
I really like the look of their 9' 3wt traveler series, I figure for the small streams that we have in NE Iowa, use that as my dry fly rod. Plus I would feel comfortable bass and crappie fishing with the 3 wt, have only caught 1 bass over 5 lbs and that was a huge one for me!

sthpaw

Reaction score
I have a Traveler in 7 wt. I got to use it on about a 20 pound baby tarpon and had to lean on it pretty hard to get the fish around some obstructions. Handled it with no problem. I also like the way it casts so well I picked up a switch rod to learn to 2 hand cast with.

db cooper

Reaction score
The bamboo rods are far east imports and i don't mean the raw materials. That being said, with all due respect to Ard, the prices are a bit steep when you consider what your getting. You can get far east imports on Ebay from Zeus (sp?), from Headwaters bamboo, and Teastick rod company for about half the price. Bamboo rods are one place where you want to avoid buying cheap imports at all costs, and that comes from experience not opinion. They charge north of $500 for a rod worth roughly $100 the second you try to re-sell it, regardless of it has been used or not! If the rod was built by an actual bamboo rod craftsman using known methods and materials than that price would be more than fair, but for what it is...its way to high.

Last edited:

db cooper

Reaction score
Not really. They shine in my opinion in lengths from 8 feet on down to the real short ones. If you have never cast one, give them a shot if you know a shop that carries them...they can be a lot of fun and a great tool to add to the quiver.

westy1970

Reaction score
I own a 3wt and 5wt from them. I really wouldn't consider owning a different brand. Brian really takes care of his customers. He is local to me, so there is an added bonus of supporting a smaller business. As far as where his rods are made, I have worked closely with overseas manufacturers in the past and they will make ANYTHING to your specs. His rods and reels are quality stuff without the hype and the marketing budget. I have tried others, but my money always ends up with Elkhorn. (I haven't had any warranty issues but have seen him take care of plenty of customers)

motorshooter

Reaction score
The Old Dominion. But can be found exploring a blu
I recently purchased an Elkhorn 4-piece 3wt sight unseen from a guide buddy-best recommendation he ever gave me. This rod casts smoothly and will sling a line 70+’ with just a bit of effort. The action is great and the feel with a “fish on” is electric. I have yet to cast this stick on a windy day, but my bet is it will do fine.:)

Look around, there are some deals on them, I picked mine up for great price you just have to look and be patient.:thmbup:

nickel

Reaction score
I have the Traveler 9' 4wt and it fishes well. I would describe it as a medium fast with a progressive flex. I actually like to fish sink tips and full sink lines on it out of my float tube. Also this rod can haul some line!

enolaeagle

Reaction score
I cant get over the blanks having the company's website printed on the blank, to me that spits in the face of everything sacred in the sport of fly-fishing. Fugly.......
I dont think its a disgrace or anything like that but in many ways I agree because that is a cheesy thing to do. As well as the search engines work nowadays you rarely see anyone typing in the actual website address...