The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiberglass rod

So what is a groaner? Tell me what I won Johnnie!
I don't know about spotting and casting to happening a lot.
I lucked out that day. First time on Utah Lake and was ready to **** away with the smell of Skunk. Who would of thought, Type II line and a Beadhead Prince nymph with a Haresear #12 would get me into Carp. What a rush. I swear the tip of the rod was about six inches away from the butt. That is one reason I love GLASS.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:39 PM

egrosven is on a distinguished road

Everyone.

Thanks for all the info. I'll have to try out a couple different suggestions here to find out what works best. Again thanks for all your input.

burk48237: I'll definitely post a picture here in the next few days.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Just a term for a bad joke/pun.

Really wasn't that bad, just teasing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Let me explain a little more. The builder of the Rod is Alan "AL" the first "One" fish I caught on it was a Carp. AL-Carp-One
Old 12-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrosven View Post
I have just recieved a old Sage fiberglass rod from my neighbor a few days ago. It is a 8'6" 6wt 686 SFL rod in mint condition. I would like to use it to fish steelhead in the upcoming weeks but I'am not sure what wt. line to purchase. I've never casted a fiberglass flyrod before and wasn't sure to buy a heavier line for the slower rod. Also I'am not to familiar with Sage fiberglass rods, my friend seemed to think they are somewhat of a rarity. Can anyone tell me anything more about the rod? If it is something of an oddity maybe I'll just put it on my wall.. thanks
Hi to all,

I wrote Sage about them making a fiberglass fly rod. It got lost in my Spam Washer but here is the responce from Sage.

Hello Frank,

In the very early days of Sage (early 80’s) we manufactured a fiberglass rod called the SFL. This series was active in our line from 1981-1983 and there is little information still available on these rods. If you have specific questions please let us know and we would be happy to try and research. Our best guess, having never cast the rod, would be that it was a medium action.

Hope this helps!

Team Sage

I find this very interesting as I never knew they made a fiberglass rod.

Frank

Old 12-13-2007, 07:07 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to all,

I wrote Sage about them making a fiberglass fly rod. It got lost in my Spam Washer but here is the responce from Sage.

Hello Frank,

In the very early days of Sage (early 80’s) we manufactured a fiberglass rod called the SFL. This series was active in our line from 1981-1983 and there is little information still available on these rods. If you have specific questions please let us know and we would be happy to try and research. Our best guess, having never cast the rod, would be that it was a medium action.

Hope this helps!

Team Sage

I find this very interesting as I never knew they made a fiberglass rod.

Frank

Frankie:

Did the Sage boys come out of old fewick or silaflex(prebrowning)??
Old 12-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Bonefish41,

I don't know. I didn't talk to them.

Frank
Old 12-14-2007, 12:20 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Don Green, one of the founders of Sage was and ex Fenwick employee in rod design I believe. One of Loomis's early designers was also ex Fenwick. Fenwick in the early 80's, late 70's was the leading producer of high end Fly rods, graphite and glass.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:13 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

If you want some great information on this (fiberglass fly rods) subject, go to this site fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board - ezboard.com
Tell them every thing you know about the rod, take pictures of it, and give all the information printed on the rod blank. There are some real experts over there. Good luck.