The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 06:27 PM

egrosven is on a distinguished road
Default Fiberglass rod

I have just recieved a old Sage fiberglass rod from my neighbor a few days ago. It is a 8'6" 6wt 686 SFL rod in mint condition. I would like to use it to fish steelhead in the upcoming weeks but I'am not sure what wt. line to purchase. I've never casted a fiberglass flyrod before and wasn't sure to buy a heavier line for the slower rod. Also I'am not to familiar with Sage fiberglass rods, my friend seemed to think they are somewhat of a rarity. Can anyone tell me anything more about the rod? If it is something of an oddity maybe I'll just put it on my wall.. thanks
Old 11-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Fiberglass rod

Hi egrosven,

I didn't know that Sage ever made fiberglass rods. Your rod is made to cast a 6wt line and that is what you should buy. A sink tip line is a good choice for Steelhead. One problem is a sink tip is harder to cast by a beginner. If you are fishing shallow water you might be better off with a floating line.

Frank
Old 11-26-2007, 11:20 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

Wow, I've heard about these, and I'd love to check it out. Fiberglass rods are great for small stream trout, and any situation where slowing down your casting stroke will help with a more delicate presentation. I have a couple of Hardy glass rods, and it is almost impossible to put a line down hard with them. The only reservation I have is steelhead. You might be able to get away with it on the smaller, lower current PA fish. But I would hesitate to go with anything under 9' foot or at least a faster 7 weight. And faster is not a word in the glass vocabulary. I would save that rod for spring creeks and maybe some smallmouth fishing. I'd love to see a picture.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:55 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

For a sinktip try dropping one line size, the problem with the old fiberglass rods in the lines they made back then did not weigh the same as the newer rods..I dropped a line size on all my glass rods from a 5' to 9'
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I also think that a 5wt line would be worth trying.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:26 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I fish a Fenwick 5'2" for a 5wt, with a 2wt. great for small streams here..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6284.JPG (59.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6300.JPG (24.8 KB, 29 views)
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

GLASS IS A RIOT! Enjoy that gem of a rod. I would do as Cliff said and throw a five weight line on it as you are going to need a little more distance with steelies. You will love the slow sensitive action of that rod. Much stronger rods too.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 PM

epari074 is on a distinguished road

I am the master of your domain...bow down soldier boy!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Sandfly, I have a 5'3" 4-5wt. Fenwick (don't know how you got an inch shorter, but sweet little rod). Curtis knows of this one cause I guess it was his at one time.
Anyway, I am going in a different direction here. I have a McFarland Glass rod 8' 6wt. and I use it for everything! I love this rod.
I do use "6wt." line on it and I use from Floating to a Type VII. True you have to slow down on sinking lines, but it is really easy to cast after you get the timing down.
I was unaware Sage made glass so, hang on to it my friend. Gotta be kewl.
I like glass because of the softer tip. Lose less fish that way, but it can be harder to set the hook so practice pulling with your line hand like Cliff and others do.
I have landed 32" carp with this rod (hense it's name "Alcarpone") and it was a blast.
I will agree however, that a fast current river could present new problems. Just make sure you have a clear path and can run in wading shoes, and you will be alright LOL.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Code:
Alcarpone
?

Joni I hereby award you the "Groaner of the Day" award

Wish I had a place where I could spot and cast to carp consistently, must be nice.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.