The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 03:25 PM

Streamfisher is on a distinguished road
Default St Croix Imperial 8' 6" #3

Hi

I'm looking for opinions on the St Croix Imperial 8' 6" #3.

I'm posting on here as St Croix rods are difficult to get hold of over here in the UK so I would need to import from USA.

The rod would be mostly used for dry fly and occasional nymph/duo fishing for trout and grayling on small/medium rivers.

Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

SF
Old 05-17-2012, 04:18 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Re: St Croix Imperial 8' 6" #3

I guess it would depend on what type of water you are fishing in. im gonna guess you are fishing small streams if you are looking for a 3wt? The imperial has recieved good reviews and i know of a couple guys who have one and like them.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

I have a 7'6" 3wt imperial built on the newer modulus graphite. I will first of say if you are looking for a DEDICATED dry fly rod to fish for finicky trout, then get something else. While the presentation is nothing to scoff at, it just isn't as good as something built to throw dries. For dries at short ranges, I HIGHLY recommend the TFO Finesse.. However, if there is a chance you will be throwing heavier streamers, nymph rigs, etc.... and want an all around rod, there is probably none better in the price range.

My Imperial is VERY fast. As a result, with fly line you can go a line size heavier and it throws it extremely well. This fly rod roll casts very well, its distance is also on par with more exspensive rods, and it has good (not amazing) presentation. it has the backbone to chuck weight and land bigger fish.

I really like my Imperial, as it is a great all around fly rod with very little compromise.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:57 AM

Streamfisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newby View Post
I have a 7'6" 3wt imperial built on the newer modulus graphite. I will first of say if you are looking for a DEDICATED dry fly rod to fish for finicky trout, then get something else. While the presentation is nothing to scoff at, it just isn't as good as something built to throw dries. For dries at short ranges, I HIGHLY recommend the TFO Finesse.. However, if there is a chance you will be throwing heavier streamers, nymph rigs, etc.... and want an all around rod, there is probably none better in the price range.

My Imperial is VERY fast. As a result, with fly line you can go a line size heavier and it throws it extremely well. This fly rod roll casts very well, its distance is also on par with more exspensive rods, and it has good (not amazing) presentation. it has the backbone to chuck weight and land bigger fish.

I really like my Imperial, as it is a great all around fly rod with very little compromise.
Thanks for the replies.

I currently have three rods to cover my stream/river fishing:
  1. Orvis Superfine Touch 7' #4
  2. Orvis Superfine Touch 8' #4
  3. Greys Streamflex 9' #3

The 8' #4 Superfine I have found is better suited to a #3 line, it is a wonderful dry fly rod but does struggle a bit in the wind or for longer casts and is definitely not a nymph fishing rod (imvho )

The 9' #3 Streamflex I have found is better suited to a #4 line. This rod does all the things the Superfine won't but doesn't have that fabulous light feel in the hand of the Orvis. Don't get me wrong, at 2.8oz it's not exactly heavy but the swing weight is much higher than the Orvis and therefore not such a pleasure to fish with. And this is why I am looking at the possibility of an 8' 6" #3.

I had a feeling that the Imperial might be a bit fast. I was thinking I would team up the #3 rod with a #4 line but not being able to pick one up in the flesh is of course a big disadvantage.

It's a difficult one.

SF