The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 08:01 AM

alwaysexplr87 is on a distinguished road
Default another rod question

First I just wanted to say hey. I've been checking these forums out for quite a while now and figured it would be a good time to join.
Now for my question, im looking at getting a new rod and have narrowed it down to the cabelas traditional series and the orvis stillwater series. Im looking to get a 8'-8'6" 5wt and am wondering if anyone has any experience with either or both. Which seems like it would be a better deal? Im going to try and swing by orvis and try out the stillwater but I dont have a cabelas around to try the traditional out. Any advice?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: another rod question

Hi alwaysexplr87,

I think it is an easy choice, support your local Orvis shop. Try out the stillwater and if you like it that is what I would buy. Are you sure it is a stillwater or is it a streamline?

Frank
Old 11-26-2007, 10:45 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

If you have been searching about the Cabelas Traditional you have probably seen that I am a fan. I have a 2-weight traditional. These are built on IM6 blanks (which could mean many things) and my 2-weight casts very well, especially considering the very low price. I believe "Curtis" has a Traditional that is a heavier weight rod. You could PM him for more info.

The only Orvis rods that I like of the current crop is the Superfine series.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:20 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Orvis Clearwater rod, based on the old Hls(top of line) 10 yeqars ago, I have several and highly recommend them. Sold hundreds when I worked for Orvis 3 years ago...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group! Supporting the local to shop seems wise to me as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:42 PM

alwaysexplr87 is on a distinguished road

Sorry about the typo guys but I meant streamline. I am going to go try it out this week. Im not a huge fan of the local orvis, the sales reps never really seem to hepfull. This might be due to the lack of fly fishers that shop there, most people that frequent it are more interested in the clothes. Ive heard lots of good things about the cabelas traditionals and hate I cant compare the two first hand.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

don't go with the streamline, look at the clearwaters they have a 25 year warrenty, the streamline's do not.....
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

The 25 year warranty is great. I believe Orvis is charging a $35 processing fee on all broken rods now, just so you are aware of that. It used to be shipping charges only. Orvis customer service, in my experience, is second to none. This is similar to the TFO warranty.

Speaking of which, have you looked at Temple Fork? The Professional is a great rod at around $139. What about Echo? If you want a faster action rod these would be two solid options.

Take a look at the user reviews on the Cabelas and Orvis websites. Take what you read with a grain of salt, but it is worth your while to look. Support for the local shop is a great thing, and so is a cheap rod that casts like a more expensive rod, if you (like me) are on a budget.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:26 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysexplr87 View Post
Sorry about the typo guys but I meant streamline. I am going to go try it out this week. Im not a huge fan of the local orvis, the sales reps never really seem to hepfull. This might be due to the lack of fly fishers that shop there, most people that frequent it are more interested in the clothes. Ive heard lots of good things about the cabelas traditionals and hate I cant compare the two first hand.
Any other fly shops around?? that said if it's under $175.00 it's got to be chinese, et al buy whichever...but IMHO if you are going to spend more than $200 and less than $300 then don't buy chinese look to Scott or Sage but try them out before you buy or this could happen to you...you will spend $150 on chinese(or for that matter any price or rod) that does not work for you and you will spend another $150 to get one that works for you add shipping and you have about $330.00 in the deal. Whereas, you could have gone to a good fly shop and got a sage, scott, loomis, winston, St Croix with a tryout and buy whichever works for you...also at the 300-330 price range check out the on line fly shops see if any of their sage, scott, loomis, winston are old models on sale and if your local shop has one ...my shop will match old model sale prices that are on line...and at the shop where I trade...they will hand a customer four to eight 6wts with the price tags removed for tryouts...then it's what works for you and "what's in your wallett"
Old 11-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think most of the rods priced between $100 and $200 are actually built in Korea, and those under $100 in China. Just throwing that out there since some may have differing views on buying Asian vs. Communist.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.