The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 07:05 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Redington CT follow up

Hi...Many members will remember a review BigCliff wrote re the 8.5' 5wt CT a while back. I was able to fish this rod last week for the 1st time and it's a real gem! I was fishing a smaller river (flow just over 100cfs) and the longest cast made was maybe 40 ft.

My cast is reminiscent of an ape tossing a small sledge, but I was able to place my fly both accurately and gently. Fishing 5x and 4 lb tippet, I landed five very fat fish over 16" including 2 browns pushing 20" pretty hard...and had zero break offs...the rod is a tippet saver, big time.

The rod also performed fine with an indicator and 2 nymphs, although when I added the second shot it seemed to get a little balky. Just too much weight for the rod to perform the way it was designed, I think.

So, while it's not a 5wt workhorse or all around rod (IMO) it sure fits what I wanted to help me fish dries well without breaking the bank.

By the way...Thanks, Cliff! This is actually the rod he reviewed...

-Mike
Old 05-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Redington CT follow up

Very good, glad its working well for you.

I agree that it folds a bit when its really worked hard, but for the most part, it makes casting, mending, and fishing easy.

I saw that Bass Pro is now stocking it, so I'd bet they're going to sell a heap more!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Redington CT follow up

Well, I'm going to look for a 8'6" 3wt for tossing dries from my tube.

I should say that with 2 beadheads and 2 shot and an indicator...I was still able to fish the rod well, but had to adjust a little in getting all that stuff up out of the water a bit to throw a solid roll cast or use a water load tossing back upstream. Part of that is action and part is that I'm normally nymphing with a 9'6" Sage Fli. Much different rod for comparison.

I think your original review was on the mark...-Mike