The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 01:15 AM

fishman is on a distinguished road
Default Redington RS4

Hi all,

just found out on Redington site this new model. I was vondering if there is any review on this rod and if some of you already tested it ??? Was thinking to buy a fast rod so this look like the rod to own.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 AM
ReelFlyRod is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Redington RS4

Hello Fishman, I recently threw the Redington RS4 9084 (9', 8wt, 4pc) next to the Redington CPS, Redington Red.Fly 2, and one of my Sage rods. The RS4 is a beautiful rod, on a distinctive Moss colored blank. This thing is an absolute rocket! It is built on a new Toray graphite blank made from 51 million modulus graphite. Very fast and powerful without being overly stiff. The Redington CPS is my all-time favorite fly rod and has won numerous awards...it is slightly more expensive than the RS4. The only difference I could tell was the RS4 was a little softer through the tip section than the CPS. I was able to throw my entire fly line with the RS4, and technically, I consider myself to be an above average (not great) caster. I own ReelFlyRod.com, a Discount Fly Shop in Ohio and we are a Redington Dealer. We also have the lowest prices on the new RS4 and CPS Fly Rods, with a Free 10% Off Coupon. Hope this helps!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi ReelFlyRod,

Thanks for the report on the RS4. Am I correct that the RS4 is a little slower action than the CPS? I know the CPS is an extra fast action and a little slower action might be a good thing. Where are the RS4 and the CPS made?

Frank
Old 11-29-2007, 01:41 AM

Thanks for information looks like this is really nice rod, will think about this option.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 AM
ReelFlyRod is on a distinguished road

Hi Frank, you are correct that the RS4 is just a little bit slower than the CPS. Honestly, many novice to intermediate casters would be a little lost with the CPS in their hands. The RS4 fills in a sweet spot just below the CPS, combining quick power with a moderate flex to load the rod nicely. The rods are engineered to Redington exact specs in the U.S. and manufactured in China. If the CPS or RS4 were built in the U.S. they would cost at least twice as much.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:54 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi ReelFlyRod,

Thanks for the report on the RS4. Am I correct that the RS4 is a little slower action than the CPS? I know the CPS is an extra fast action and a little slower action might be a good thing. Where are the RS4 and the CPS made?

Frank
Frankie:
They are chinese and a bit pricey...the red/web page shows a retail price four piece 9 foot 5wt at 250 for RS4 and 300 for CPS Sage(their parent) Launch at 225 FLi at 315 Scott V2 at 195 and A2 at 295
Old 11-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Bonefish41,

I was pretty sure they were made in China. This is how Sage can sell imported rods and not have to put there name on them.

Many years ago I was in Wyoming fishing the Green River. My fishing partner and I were in a fly shop and this other fellow was just leaving. As we left the shop this fellow come over and started talking about this new rod he was introducing. We talked about where he was fishing and how much he liked the new rods. He ask us to stop by his camp and try out his rods. There were a bunch of rods in the back of his pickup. We never met up with him and I didn't realize it was the new Redington rod until some time later.

Are you doing any fishing?

Frank
Old 11-29-2007, 11:43 AM

What about other components of RS4 (guides, handle, ...)???
Old 11-29-2007, 05:53 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Bonefish41,

I was pretty sure they were made in China. This is how Sage can sell imported rods and not have to put there name on them.

Many years ago I was in Wyoming fishing the Green River. My fishing partner and I were in a fly shop and this other fellow was just leaving. As we left the shop this fellow come over and started talking about this new rod he was introducing. We talked about where he was fishing and how much he liked the new rods. He ask us to stop by his camp and try out his rods. There were a bunch of rods in the back of his pickup. We never met up with him and I didn't realize it was the new Redington rod until some time later.

Are you doing any fishing?

Frank
No! but yesterday it was 50...so tried it for smallies cause we were going bonkers...the water was high and did not put on my goose pit fleece... cold...I really cannot appreciate those great lakes steelie fly boys with ice on their lines...but I did try out my new bargain an 8wt diamondback stu apte $115 from cortland store demo/closeout...was it the 115 that caused me to think it was better than my 9wt TCR blank ...my 10 wt TCR blank is still the leader of the pack but ...got to do something or I am going over limit on the red wine for my ticker