The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 AM

Streamfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Superfine Touch 8' 6" #3

Still on the lookout for an 8' 6" rod.

Any opinions on the Orvis Superfine Touch 8' 6" #3?

How does it compare to the 8' #4?

Many thanks

SF
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Orvis Superfine Touch 8' 6" #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamfisher View Post
Still on the lookout for an 8' 6" rod.

Any opinions on the Orvis Superfine Touch 8' 6" #3?

How does it compare to the 8' #4?

Many thanks

SF
6" longer and one weight smaller?
Hell I don't know. Get 'em both. And don't forget a 5 wt. F&F. That should cover most bases.
Ebay
Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 AM

Streamfisher is on a distinguished road

Very helpful. I can see I'm wasting my time on here!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Streamfisher...you're talking about $500 rods. Maybe no one has the answer to your very specific question. I have a 6'6" one ounce 2 wt from Orvis, but have no idea about the rods you mentioned...take a valium.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:19 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered talking with the people at Orvis directly? Click here for the link?

Have you contacted an Orvis store or an Orvis affiliated store?

Have you made an attempt to cast the rod? My guess is no.

There are more ways to get gear information than trying to ask some internet schmuck to help you out.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I only own one Orvis rod and it is a Hydros, Ilike it very much. I havent read a bad review on the rod you mention in any length or weight. From my fuzzy memory they fall more in the medium range of action so for dries they probably wiill be perfect. Chucking big doubles in the wind might be more problematic.

I have a fast 3wt I take and a med fast. Depending on the wind when I get where I am going determines which rod gets to come out and play for the day.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:29 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

In my experience Superfines all pretty much work the same. I generally fish a 7'9" F&F 5 wt, occasionally my 7'6" 3 wt- I forget what that one's called. I just received my new Touch 8'6" 5wt today.. I needed a travel rod...I expect that it will fish like the others.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:01 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The Super Fines have lovely tapered cork grips and are in general a bit mushy. The 8'/#4 by definition is better than the longer #3. Cross shop the Scott "G" Series for a well designed rod of this type. Oh, and go cast them side-by-side at your local shop; it is really the only way to know if you like any rod.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:50 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I have a superfine touch 7'9 5wt. and i absolutly love the rod. Not only is a beutiful rod, its casts great and is crazy light. I dont think they are that slow in action though. I fish a bit of cane as well and find the superfine to be more of a med than a slow action. ymmv