The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 11:28 PM

bdavies is on a distinguished road
Default Beginner Rod Combo?- TFO NXT, St Croix Rio Santo, or Redington Pursuit

Hi all,

Occasional browser, first time poster here. I am looking to get into fly fishing and have been doing some research both online and in some of the local fishing stores around.

I am a beginner to fly fishing and for the area I live in and type of fish I'd be targeting many people have recommended a 9ft 5 or 6w moderate rod for ease of cast.

Three kit options I've looked at are the TFO NXT, St Croix Rio Santo, and Redington Pursuit (all 4 pc rods) which come with rod, reel, line, backing, case.

The price of these three is relatively comparible I am looking to see if anyone has any experience or input on these 3 options for a beginner to fly fishing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:16 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Beginner Rod Combo?- TFO NXT, St Croix Rio Santo, or Redington Pursuit

I recently put up a review on here of the Rio Santo

I haven't cast the others, but I can say the Rio Santo will serve you very well!

St. Croix Rio Santo Fly Fishing Outfit
Old 05-22-2012, 08:14 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Beginner Rod Combo?- TFO NXT, St Croix Rio Santo, or Redington Pursuit

Being new, if you have the idea of length / weight down I think any of the three are going to serve you well. As a new fly fisherman you will develop a casting style / rhythm / pace in time. All 3 will work, all 3 will catch fish. As stupid as this sounds as someone who went through re-learning the sport 5 years ago here would be something to consider as well. The two points below I ran across in using St Croix and TFO rods, neither are the end of the world but something to consider.

I have actually like all the St Croix Rods I owned. The only rod I ever broke was a St Croix and it took them 5 weeks to repair / replace the broken section. That in my mind was the big negative as I had to go buy another rod to fish with in that timeframe.

On Par for quality TFO from what Ive read their warranty services are much faster. Downside with TFO is you dont get a rod tube with your purchase. But you can buy one for $25 almost anywhere.

I dont know what Redington's warranty cost / timeframe is like so I cant speak to that.

So really any of the three will serve you well, just look at who's warranty services will serve you well if the need ever arises.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I dont know what Redington's warranty cost / timeframe is like so I cant speak to that.
$30 lifetime warranty for any rod except the Crosswater (1 year warranty). Redington usually replaces rods unless it has spare sections sitting around.

Dennis
Old 05-22-2012, 12:02 PM

bdavies is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback so far folks.

The warranty for the TFO and Redington are lifetime which is nice, but the St Croix is only 5 years with certain extended options according to their website (which cost more of course).

Good to know about the downtime for the St Croix replacement comeonavs that is a factor to consider for sure.

Also thanks for the review "brookfieldangler" I found it quite useful.

The TFO NXT combo I am looking at comes with a nice case actually, it is a rod and reel case good zipper construction and seems fine quality.

I have read some concerns about the reel and specifically the line on the TFO NXT combo losing lubrication quite fast and becoming an issue which was a concern of mine.

Each of the rods seem to have their pros/cons which makes it difficult to decide, but I really appreciate the feedback.

Keep it coming if possible!

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:58 PM

coldwater55 is on a distinguished road

I have cast both and fished with the St Croix.If I was going to buy one it would be the Rio Santo.I dont know what your looking to spend but check out the Allen rods,I think they have a new rod out.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Here is something to think about.

Are you making this purchase for the short term or long term?

If you are looking for a price pointed outfit to get your started, choose the one that looks better to you since you are going to outgrow it and will be wanting to upgrade.

If you are thinking for the long term and you have the means, do the upgrade now. That way you are spending money once for an outfit that will work great for now and better later on as you progress.

Am I asking you to buy a $750 fly rod with a $400 fly reel? No - unless you really want to. There are plenty of viable options that won't be too much of an upgrade cost from the outfits that you mentioned.

By the way. Have you visited a local fly shop yet?

Dennis
milt spawn likes this.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:44 AM

dhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the roughdhaynes is a jewel in the rough

In regard to St. Croix repair...

My wife broke the tip section of her Rio Santo... I went to St. Croix web, ordered a new tip section for 30 bucks including shipping and handling and was back on the river in 3 days....
Old 05-23-2012, 11:20 AM

aquaticsanonymous is on a distinguished road

I have the St Croix Rio Santos and I am well satisfied with it. I don't however have much experience with other outfits, as I started this year and bought a 5 wt and an 8 wt.

That being said, my dad broke the tip section of a St Croix Spinning rod and had a replacement tip section 3 days later.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 AM

matt o is on a distinguished road

I started fly fishing last year and bought a redington pursuit outfit in 5wt. It has served me well and works just fine. Check out Sierra Trading Post for good deals on Redington. I bought mine at a local shop, but saw it half price on STP the next week. I went trophy trout fishing on private water with it and landed a few very large fish with it. It fought them well and I really like the reel.