The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 07:45 PM

fly_or_die is on a distinguished road
Default Redington Predator 8 wt?

I'm looking for an 8 wt bass/carp/bigger fish setup that can throw heavy lines and big flies. My local fly shop suggested this rod. I was thinking about getting the 9 ft apossed to the shorter tournament length. I was curious what peoples opinions are on the rod and how they cast. I would love a rod with a lot of line pick up strength and this looks like a good candidate and it's in my price range. Any info would be great. Thanks
Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Redington Predator 8 wt?

Given the different methods of presenting the fly for Carp and given the different conditions you might encounter I would say get the 9 foot.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 05-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_or_die View Post
I'm looking for an 8 wt bass/carp/bigger fish setup that can throw heavy lines and big flies. My local fly shop suggested this rod. I was thinking about getting the 9 ft apossed to the shorter tournament length. I was curious what peoples opinions are on the rod and how they cast. I would love a rod with a lot of line pick up strength and this looks like a good candidate and it's in my price range. Any info would be great. Thanks
I would definitely get the longer one if you go with that rod. I used to have the 6wt short Predator and it needed a 7wt to load. You'd spook alot of carp with a 9wt line on that 8wt Predator.

For what you're after, I'd look into Echo's Ion in a 7wt. Its plenty stout and about the same price.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 PM

fly_or_die is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info! I guess Bass would be more likely my prime target with this rod. Also hoping to use it on a saltwater trip if I ever get the chance.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_or_die View Post
Thanks for the info! I guess Bass would be more likely my prime target with this rod. Also hoping to use it on a saltwater trip if I ever get the chance.
I still think a 7wt is plenty for bass and most saltwater. Its what I normally grab for both, unless the wind is really ripping.

These were all landed with a stout 6wt (Scott A3)-

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 AM

matt o is on a distinguished road

I have the 8wt Predator in the 7ft10 length because STP had a smoking deal on it. Great rod when I paired it with some Sage Bass Taper Line. Caught tons of bass on it and it works well
Old 05-25-2012, 11:44 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

Im with BigCliff on this one.A 7wt is plenty of rod for what you want.I own the 6wt & 8wt Predators and the 8 is really overkill for bass.Its pretty stout and not very good at delicate presentations,something needed for carp.You might take a good look at the TFO Clouser rods.They are a little shorter than 9ft and designed for your needs.I prefer a rod shorter than 9ft myself.They have a lighter feel and swing weight.A good stout 6wt is also an option for bass and light saltwater.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:08 PM

matt o is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipS View Post
Im with BigCliff on this one.A 7wt is plenty of rod for what you want.I own the 6wt & 8wt Predators and the 8 is really overkill for bass.Its pretty stout and not very good at delicate presentations,something needed for carp.You might take a good look at the TFO Clouser rods.They are a little shorter than 9ft and designed for your needs.I prefer a rod shorter than 9ft myself.They have a lighter feel and swing weight.A good stout 6wt is also an option for bass and light saltwater.

These are good points. I like the 8wt because we have some lunkers in our lake. But for 1-2lb fish the 8wt is overkill. 7wt might be better, you could always overline it for Saltwater use.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

I have the older Predator model, 6wt 7'10", and love it for local bass. As Clif mentioned, I overline it with a 7wt bass taper. It's more than enough for good sized fish. From last week...

Having said that, if I replaced it today I'd probably go with the TFO Clouser. Threw one at the last FF Show and liked it a lot. For what you want, I agree with dialing back to a 6 or 7wt.

If you want to go full 9ft, you might also consider the TFO BVK, my light saltwater rod of choice. I use the 7wt for redfish and specs. A very nice rod. Strong/fast at a minuscule 3.2oz.

Bottom line, if you are going to use it mostly for bass, the Clouser. Mostly for salt, the BVK. Just my opinion.

Mike