The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 12:57 PM

lasor1 is on a distinguished road
Talking Good reel and line paring for sage zxl 490

Hello everyone I just picked up my first sage rod it is a sage zxl 4# 9' rod I am wanting to pair it with a nice reel and a good line that works with this rod. I don't know much about This fly rod but it throws very nice for me I usly like after rods and almost went with the sage one rod but this one called to me.. Anyway I want to get the best performance out of it has anyone familiar with the zxl and what line throughs well? I have a Ross flyrise reel off of my bvk 4# I used on it now with sa's lefty kreh line it throws nicely but like to have better line you know and a nicer reel for the money I thought about a Ross evolution lt reel or I really like to get sage reel for it but don't know much about them thanks for your info also what about lamson waterworks are they any good as well!
Old 05-28-2012, 02:09 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Good reel and line paring for sage zxl 490

I just bought a Sage ZXL 376-4 and I can tell you for sure for the line go with the SA Mastery textured trout talker,it is just a awesome line. As for as reels go, put a Ross Evolution 2 on it. I paired mine with aLamson purist and it is almost to light of a reel. I have a Evolution 2 on my TXL 4wt and it is awesome. I put the Evo 2 on the ZXL and it feels great.

hmmm now to sell the Purist or get an evolution 2 and put the purist on the 1wt

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 05-28-2012, 02:11 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Hello,
As you continue to be an active participant on the forum, you will get to fully enjoy the breadth of knowledge the members have to offer / share.

I have had good success with Rio's WF4F Gold, Sci Angler's Mastery Trout WF4F OR Airflo's Ridge Presentation WF4F with my 8'6" ZXL 4wt. I prefer them in the order listed.

A minor point worth raising (I feel bad having to mention this since some take a lot of offense at such criticism): You should check your spelling & use some punctuations in your post. It will make reading it a bit easier.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:47 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

For my 486-4 ZXL I use Airflo Ridgeline Tactical Trout WF 4 and RIO Gold. Both perfect lines.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:01 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Abel Creek 2 Large Arbor with a Rio Gold on my 490-4 ZXL.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

lasor

While you are searching, recommend you look into a Nautilus FWX, 5/6 reel.
Good luck, sounds like you are putting together a nice outfit.

Imxer

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 05-28-2012, 09:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I mentioned what I use.

If you must use your current reel and line, it will work.

As for other choices.

Lines - The key thing is that you get a standard weighted fly line. Stay away from the "half" weights like a Scientific Anglers GPX taper or a Rio Grand. You do not need the extra head mass to load that rod. I use a Rio Gold, but I have fished with it with a Scientific Anglers Mastery Trout (WF4F). Both lines work beautifully with the rod.

Reels - Which reel looks the most absolutely fabulous on the rod? The reality is that if you get a quality reel from one of the major brands in the industry, it will last you many years of reliable service.

Dennis