The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 AM

charlie dog is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 664-3 Fly Rod

They have this rod on sale for $400 with and additional 20% off.

I am concerned with the 6' 6" length. I normally fish trout in small limestone streams in Wisconsin. 10 to 12" is a good fish, and I enjoy a periodic 6" wild brookie. I currently use a 8' 2wt overlined to 3. I normally fish size 14 bead head nymphs and size 10 to 12 hoppers in the summer. I also hope to get into drys too;

Would this short of rod work for me in the 20 to 30' range?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 664-3 Fly Rod

IMO, the 6'6" is a great small stream rod. I'm not familiar with that rod, but I do have several, including a bamboo, that are 6'6". No worries.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I have a 6'6" 2wt...an older superfine...you won't be sorry if you spring for it. These rods are very sweet and I fish mine often when a longer rod is actually more appropriate just for the fun of it.

-Mike
Old 05-30-2012, 07:05 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie dog View Post
They have this rod on sale for $400 with and additional 20% off.

I am concerned with the 6' 6" length. I normally fish trout in small limestone streams in Wisconsin. 10 to 12" is a good fish, and I enjoy a periodic 6" wild brookie. I currently use a 8' 2wt overlined to 3. I normally fish size 14 bead head nymphs and size 10 to 12 hoppers in the summer. I also hope to get into drys too;

Would this short of rod work for me in the 20 to 30' range?
My two shiny copper pennies worth are as follows.Fish size will be fine, its all how you as the angler handle the situation. I fish a 1wt with dries in the summer and Ive handled 14" Browns and one 13" Cutthroat that was full of energy. The length of the rod probably wont be a factor in the negative when it comes to small streams , you will still be able to get 30 feet of floating line out plus a 9-12' leader for dries will give you plenty of reach. My only concern for your scenario is throwing mid sized beadheads to large hoppers. I have found with my TXL 3wt that even though it is faster action a single size 14 bead is fine but doubles = No dice. A big hopper on its own sure but not a dropper especially in the wind. I bought a 4wt TXL for fishing the setups you describe and in the case of wind.

However a 3wt superfine for dries, buy it and enjoy the ride it will be awesome.

And PS where is it on sale I want one now ????
Old 06-01-2012, 07:03 AM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road

I have a 3wt 6' 6" Sage. I do have somewhat of a difficult time casting larger bead heads, but I think some of that is just my inability. I can cast #12 Cadis all the way to #26 Blue Winged Olives. I love the rod for the medium sized streams, anywhere from 25' to 50' in width.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I will offer an opinion different than others..

I have owned and fished a 6'6" 3 wt rod in the past. Primary reason for acquiring it was to use it on small streams. Here are some experience based comments-
1) I discovered that the length was a detriment when achieving a long drag free drift (tough to keep enough line out of the water)
2) It was also not as effective at roll casting.
3) It also hampered me for 'high sticking' around tall boulders in some of the mountain streams.

After trying rods (3 wt & 4 wt) in the 6'6" ; 7' ; 7'6" ; 8' ; 8'6" & 9' lengths. I have found that for me the minimum effective rod length is 7'6". Anything less than that hinders the rod's effectiveness for the type of water I like to fish. In my opinion, counter intuitive to the marketing speak behind the need for shorter rods, a 7'6" or 8' rod is ideal for even the tightest of streams.

Net, my shortest rod these days is a 7'6" Superfine Trout Bum which is mighty nice
Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM

charlie dog is on a distinguished road

And PS where is it on sale I want one now ????

Graphite Fly Rods / Superfine Trout Bum 664-3 Fly Rod -- Orvis

that brings the price down to $329
Old 06-01-2012, 11:43 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
I will offer an opinion different than others..

I have owned and fished a 6'6" 3 wt rod in the past. Primary reason for acquiring it was to use it on small streams. Here are some experience based comments-
1) I discovered that the length was a detriment when achieving a long drag free drift (tough to keep enough line out of the water)
2) It was also not as effective at roll casting.
3) It also hampered me for 'high sticking' around tall boulders in some of the mountain streams.

After trying rods (3 wt & 4 wt) in the 6'6" ; 7' ; 7'6" ; 8' ; 8'6" & 9' lengths. I have found that for me the minimum effective rod length is 7'6". Anything less than that hinders the rod's effectiveness for the type of water I like to fish. In my opinion, counter intuitive to the marketing speak behind the need for shorter rods, a 7'6" or 8' rod is ideal for even the tightest of streams.

Net, my shortest rod these days is a 7'6" Superfine Trout Bum which is mighty nice
I agree with you that rods under about 7'6" are like a "specialty" rod, best suited for specific conditions...and are not the perfect tool for long drifts and a lot of high sticking. BUT...There are little waters where they shine.