The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 07:59 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WF or DT for 3wt.

Silver,
Kudos for taking the effort to explain this topic in such a simple fashion . I also enjoyed reading the info via the url.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Most of the arguments I see for a DT line on a 3 wt. is that you're not casting that far with a 3 wt. That's not the case for me. I routinely need to cast at length with my 3 wt. when fishing. Why do I fish a 3 wt. when I have to fish distance? Because it's more than enough rod for the size of fish I'm catching.

I do have DT 3 wt. line but I use it when I know I'm fishing in a manner that I'm not going to encounter a situation where I need to bomb a cast. I would never overline my 3 wt's and one of the 3 wt's I fish with is a Sage XP. This is just my preference.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:38 PM

risenfly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Also, do not forget that a DT is way easier to roll cast. This is something that you will do alot in close quarters.

The DT and WF lines are EXACTLY the same for the first 40 or so feet of the line. (in the same model and manufacturer). The difference is a WF line has running line to the end, and the DT is thicker through the belly and then tapers back so you can flip it eventually. You should see no difference in roll casting in tight areas between a WF or DT. Some small stream guys like a DT because they simply cut it in half and fill the reel with backing so they essentially buy 2 lines for 1. You'll never cast even half a line on a small stream, so it makes sense.

If you're going to use it on other streams then it doesn't really matter what you use. WF allows you to put more backing on if you're worried about that, and can "shoot" line a bit better, but overall in 99% of your fishing you won't notice a difference between the 2.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

interesting ideas in this line... I have not even thought about it...
Thanks guys that shared with us
Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Silver,
Kudos for taking the effort to explain this topic in such a simple fashion . I also enjoyed reading the info via the url.
Thank you for the kind words.

I think I have posted this before on another thread but I'll repost it here.

For 4 wt line and below, I use DT lines by cutting the line in half. Then I add Cortland floating running line to the cut end of the DT with a loop to loop connection made by whip finishing the fly line core into a loop. When I wear the first line, I swap it out for the other half. It is how we used to make our own WF and shooting heads.

The spare half a fly line stored in a cool dry place on the original spool will last longer than putting the whole line on the reel. There is an extra expense because you need to buy a spool of running line, but I have used the same running line for many years. The running line comes in several diameters. For the 4 wt buy the thinnest .027".

You have now basically made your own extended head WF fly line with a spare extended head. That is how the "old fly fishing fogies" tweaked our fly lines.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-09-2012, 12:52 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road

I would go ahead and call G. Loomis and asked them what type of line they designed the rod around. They will be hesitant to recomend a brand of line, but just let them know you want to know whether it was DT or WF.

When I got my Sage SLT 383-4 I talked to a number of the "ultralight" folks who fish 3wt and under for just about everything. The overwhelming used either DT or Wolff Triangle Taper. The consensus was that while WF would work in many applications, the rods really came into their own with a DT and could roll cast farther and more accuratley. I am not a good enough caster to be able to tell the difference, but I did call Sage and they said DT all the way for the SLT...and most of their 3 wt and under (graphite) rods under 8 ft.

Here's my cheat sheet I came up with after reading numerous posts on numerous forums.

DT if:
Rod is 3wt and under
Rod is under 8ft long
You plan on fishing tight quarters
You plan on roll casting alot
*You have a 4wt that is moderate action or slower no matter the length (just my experience and casting tempo)

WF if:
Rod is at 4wt and higher (4wt is med-fast or faster)
Rod is over 8ft long
Distance is your goal
You will not be doing alot of long roll casting

Wolff triangle taper if:
You have a 3wt over 8ft long that you plan on using just like a 4 wt of equal or greater length

In your case I would try the wolf triangle taper when it's time to replace your current WF line....YMMV.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:11 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

All of this talk about DT vs WF is only valid if both are made by the same manufacturer for the same application; otherwise the forward taper and its length will vary, as will the suppleness of the line.

I like to try all different lines on a light line rod until the rod "comes alive". Not only is this entertaining, but enlightening. Once I had a 9' 3wt cane rod that didn't respond until I put an Orvis Longbelly line on it, then it felt just right. This form of blind taste-testing is also valuable because it incorporates your unique casting stroke [I don't have a casting stroke - that is what others have when they watch me cast. ]

So, get some friends together at a pond, provide some refreshments, and have everyone bring as many lines as possible. Cast and enjoy!

http://overmywaders.com