The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   WF or DT for 3wt. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/283177-wf-dt-3wt.html)

shimloom 05-30-2012 06:24 PM

WF or DT for 3wt.

I just bought a G.Loomis Whispercreek GLX 8'8" 3wt. These rods are designed for light presentations. I have SA Mastery WF 3 F line on the reel I intend to use on this rod. Since this will be for small flies and skinny water, would a DT be better for this? Maybe someone has used this rod or one like it for this application. I know from experience GLX rods are fast so maybe it's no big shakes, but I thought I would put it out there for advice from the cream of the crop.

imxer 05-30-2012 06:43 PM

Re: WF or DT for 3wt.

Until the cream of the crop chime in, suggest you put your reel loaded with
WF3F on the rod & take it out for a spin. If you like how it feels, enjoy the fishing. Like your taste in rods.;)

comeonavs 05-30-2012 07:12 PM

This has been covered quite extensively so I will try to remember what I read without butchering it. If I do butcher it search for posts by silvercreek on the subject.

DT gives you two ends of the line so when you wear out one side flip it around.
WF has essentially the same taper on one end but then running line.

OR something to that affect

I had DT on a dry fly rod and was worried about the same thing. I got WF and havent been dissapointed.

Sure there might be a slight difference , but unless you have the hands of a Picasso and the senses of Bethoven probably wont be a noticeable difference. I dont mean that as insulting either it is just not the avg fisherman will notice a difference.

Like the guy at the fly shop told me, in golf a 5mph wind for a hack doesnt have a big impact but for a Phil Mickelson / Tiger Woods with their precision it does matter.

PS I fall in to the it doesnt matter category :D

Jackster 05-30-2012 08:20 PM

Usually, with three weight distance casting is your last concern. There are far better rods for that job. A three weight is a fishing rod mostly used on tighter rivers for delicate presentation. If this is your intended use then go with a DT. It's twice the line at the same cost as a WF because you can end-for-end it after a bit of use. In tight streams it is not uncommon to slowly but surely wreck the line by stepping on it, getting it stuck in tree's and getting is jammed in rocks. Flipping the line around eventually gives you virtually a brand new line whan needed.
The WF is mostly used for getting more line out there as the thinner running line means less friction in the guides thus more distance. WF also takes up less room on the reel again because of the thinner running line.
For a four weight and under I vote for a DT but even on some four weights I like a WF. For three weigt and under DT is all I ever need.
This assesment has served me well in over 25 years of fly fishing all sorts of waters 3-5 times a week over most of that time.

comeonavs 05-30-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackster (Post 457465)
Usually, with three weight distance casting is your last concern. There are far better rods for that job. A three weight is a fishing rod mostly used on tighter rivers for delicate presentation. If this is your intended use then go with a DT. It's twice the line at the same cost as a WF because you can end-for-end it after a bit of use. In tight streams it is not uncommon to slowly but surely wreck the line by stepping on it, getting it stuck in tree's and getting is jammed in rocks. Flipping the line around eventually gives you virtually a brand new line whan needed.
The WF is mostly used for getting more line out there as the thinner running line means less friction in the guides thus more distance. WF also takes up less room on the reel again because of the thinner running line.
For a four weight and under I vote for a DT but even on some four weights I like a WF. For three weigt and under DT is all I ever need.
This assesment has served me well in over 25 years of fly fishing all sorts of waters 3-5 times a week over most of that time.

All great points, for me I was looking for a DT for my 3wt for the reasons you mention. I wanted to try the SA Mastery trout stalker but I believe ( now that I think of it hope) they only make it in WF. I rolled the dice on the WF and knock on wood I havent been dissapointed yet.

addni 06-02-2012 04:10 PM

I would look for a WF with a small head. Nice for delicate presentations such as dry's.

axle27 06-02-2012 09:17 PM

Also, do not forget that a DT is way easier to roll cast. This is something that you will do alot in close quarters.

Pocono 06-03-2012 05:28 AM

For the graphite rod that you describe; the Loomis GLX, I'd stay with your WF3F line. If you're in tight quarters /narrow streams; which I assume you are with a 3 wt., then you're not going to be casting much more than 30' anyway; which makes the head of the WF line do just what you want it to do.

I use a WF3F line on my 3 wts. if they're graphite. I use DT3 line for my 3wt. fiberglass and cane rods. For me, the WF line works better for a faster action rod (graphite), whereas the DT line works better on slower action sticks.

I'd save myself the money and fish your WF3F line on your new pole. With an 8'8" 3 wt. you're probably going to be casting further than 30' and the WF line will help you in that area as others have already pointed out.

Pocono

shimloom 06-04-2012 03:42 PM

Gentleman, thanks again for the advice. It is for this reason that I ask these questions. The experience and application of each person brings out something we can all learn from. So many times answers come to some aspect of the question I haven't given thought to! I love this site!

silver creek 06-07-2012 07:38 PM

I'm with Jackster for the reason's he mentioned.

Basically the reason to buy a DT line is for distance and there is very little reason to distance cast a 3 wt line. I went through this exact same discussion two days ago at a Cabela's. His buddies were telling him to buy a WF. We took the WF3F off of the shelf. It had a tip section, a front taper, a belly, and a rear taper before getting to the shooting line.

http://www.bordergameangling.co.uk/i...neprofiles.jpg

Streamside Info - Cortland Fly Line Specifications

For a Cortland 444 Classic these add up to about 33 feet. Now add the rod length, say 7.5 ft and a 7 foot leader, and you need to be fishing about 45 to 48 feet from the target before you even get to the running line. Seriously? How often are you going to be fishing over 45 feet away with a 3 wt rod?

The Cortland DT3WT has the identical tip length and 8 ft front taper. Bow the DT and WF will land and fish exactly the same as far as delicacy of delivery is considered. YOU LOSE NOTHING and gain the other end when the first end wears out. You functionally get two fly lines for the price of one.

With a 3 wt rod, you should actually consider a 4 wt line because you may even have enough 3 wt line out of the rod. More common that needing to cast far is needing to cast too short to load the rod with a 3 wt so buying a WF3WT is NOT indicated. You may want to get a DT4WT.

Check the Orvis line specs below and you will notice that model for model, the front taper of a DT vs a WF are identical for the same model line. They will function identically in terms of how they present the fly because the forward tapers are identical.

Fly Line Taper Charts | Reference

The ONLY reason to buy a WF3F is if you need the front taper design that is not available in a DT.

Read what Bruce Richards, the fly line guru of Scientific Anglers says about DT vs WF Floating lines.

Double Taper Versus Weight Forward: Which is Really Better? | Fly Fishing Info Center