The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 03:15 PM

drose is on a distinguished road
Default Small stream, wild trout rod blanks

Greetings, a newbie to the forum here.

I'm about to finally hit retirement and am considering building my own rod when I do; I'm looking for a guidance on building a rod (from blanks) that would target what I love best - drys on small headwaters in high, wild country off the road, whether high on the western slopes of Colorado (San Juans and La Platas) or in the mountains of western Carolina. I generaly fish small streams with lots of canopy, often with tangle, and with lots of pocket water so I need precise casting for short distances on the first cast. Lot's of line haul and roll casting with a max 20 - 25' standard cast.

I'm not one to spend money just for a name; my real interest is functional value. I currently fish a TFO Pro series (for the last 7 to 8 years) after having fished the same fiberglass rod that I bought from Herters as a lad over 50 years ago.

My questions: what's the experience with the Orvis Trout Bum? Better alternatives for the money?

I appreciate your responses.

Duncan
Old 07-17-2010, 03:39 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Small stream, wild trout rod blanks

You can't go wrong with any Orvis Superfine rod. Especially for where you want to fish. The TB is a great rod.
The other alternative is the new 'glass rods by modern makers/builders. They're not the same as your old Herters rod. Much lighter and now in different tapers and from super slow to fast (fast for glass= Orvis Superfine rods)
Steffan Brothers, McFarland, T.L. Johnson, Fred Paddock, and a few Japanese makers/builders. Most have blanks for you to build on.
There are a few Lami's for sale from 6'6" and 7' 3w's to 7'6" 4w and an 8' 5w. All those are 2 pc. I think Lamiglas is getting away. They can't seem to build or find straight blanks anymore.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Personally I like the Sage 080-3 SPL and 080-3 SLT series better than the 761-4 Trout Bum. With that being said the SPL and SLT are no longer made.

Don't get me wrong my 1wt Trout Bum was a great rod. I also liked my 000710-3 TXL.

The problem though is that there are a lot of different types of "small water" rods. Personally I would try different rods that you are considering. Then I would get the one that I liked the best.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:37 AM

drose is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback Sasha and Mojo. I will indeed give a try to the rods discussed - but casting in the parking lot just can't beat actual experience in the mountains; I really appreciate you both taking the time...