The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Rods (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/)
-   -   Loomis rods? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/2846-loomis-rods.html)

fyshstykr 12-10-2007 09:28 AM

Loomis rods?

I have several older Loomis rods(old IMX fan), but have not bought any since they sold out to Shimano a few years ago.
My ? is this, How do the newer Loomis rods stack up against the older ones?

My favorite rod is my old IMX 9' 4wt, been fishing it for about 11 years, getting ready to give it a break for a while so I can re-wrap it.

Put the final coat on a Scott "sts" 9' 5wt blank lastnight that I had purchased about 6 years ago, cannot wait to fish it.
Not sure why I waited so long to finish it LOL.

BigCliff 12-10-2007 01:05 PM

Re: Loomis rods?

Don't have much experience with recent Loomis offerings, but that Scott you just finished will be a rocket. For close-in casting, you'll likely want a GPX or 6wt line. If its to be a longer distance rod, should be marvelous.

Fish Bones 12-12-2007 09:17 PM

My favorite small stream rod of all time is my G.Loomis GLX Stream Dance 2wt Presentation. Very nice...

imxer 12-30-2007 11:14 AM

As a fellow IMX/Loomis fan I know exactly how you feel about your 9'/4wt. Why don't you consider a GL4, action between the IMX & GLX with the GLX taper; you can pick them up well below the price of a new GLX. If price isn't a factor I would buy a GLX however. Best of luck in your choice.

imxer 01-05-2008 05:14 PM

fyshstykr:
While you are searching, suggest you try the IMX,GL4 & GLX in 8 1/2'.
Best of luck !
imxer

randyflycaster 01-05-2008 07:16 PM

My feeling is that all fly rod companies have improved their fly-rod technology.
The new Loomis are great; and I love the way they look.
Randy

fyshstykr 01-05-2008 10:38 PM

I'm not actually looking to buy a new rod, I just wanted to know how the new rods were since Shimano bought Gary Loomis out about 10 yrs ago.

Now that brings me to another question, How many flyrod companies actually build their rods in the U.S.A.?

And no I am "not" implying that Loomis rods are made overseas.

randyflycaster 01-06-2008 10:20 AM

I bought two Loomis rods in the last five years. I don't think Shimano in any way had a negative impact on the quality of the rods.

Most, if not all, of the Loomis rods are made in the USA.

Also, I like the Loomis warranty. I think it's the best in the industry.

Randy Kadish

imxer 01-06-2008 10:42 AM

All Loomis rods are made in Woodland, WA

I agree with Randy, the infusion of Shimano cash has allowed Gary Loomis to continually improve the rods.
Still prefer the matte grey finish to the "new look" but that wouldn't keep me from buying one.

fyshstykr 01-06-2008 02:49 PM

Great, thanks guys.
And I also still prefer the matte finish.