The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Gerryb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who uses Sage rods?

Z-Axis 10' #7 .
Z-Axis 10' #6 , effortless fishing , loaded with a Rio Gold . I will never part with this rod .
Rgds,
Gerry.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I also have a variety of sage rods, RPL, RPLX, TCR, TCX and XI3. Although the 12 wt RPLX I still consider one of the best true 12 wt rods I've cast, I made a huge mistake buying it in the 9 wt. without first casting it. It is nothing whatsoever like the 12.

That was the first and last rod I ever bought without casting it first.

If anyone is fond of that particular rod, make me an offer.

PS: Cochise, did you ever demo that TCX 5 wt?

Last edited by wjc; 06-26-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 07-14-2012, 08:14 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
I also have a variety of sage rods, RPL, RPLX, TCR, TCX and XI3. Although the 12 wt RPLX I still consider one of the best true 12 wt rods I've cast, I made a huge mistake buying it in the 9 wt. without first casting it. It is nothing whatsoever like the 12.

That was the first and last rod I ever bought without casting it first.

If anyone is fond of that particular rod, make me an offer.

PS: Cochise, did you ever demo that TCX 5 wt?
I have not cast the TXL yet. I am anxious...Got caught up with summer!!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I'm going to be the only less than stellar review. I have a 6 and an 8wt VXP. I will start by saying that I am very happy with the performace. I use them all the time, most of my warm water fishing is done with the 6wt.
Now for the less than stellar part, I still can't justify the price tags. I own rods that perform just as well and cost half what the Sages do. The $50 warranty fee is also a bit higher than the average. Love the rods but unless I get a killer deal I'm not willing to pay for the name.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:31 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Looks like I'm going to be the only less than stellar review. I have a 6 and an 8wt VXP. I will start by saying that I am very happy with the performace. I use them all the time, most of my warm water fishing is done with the 6wt.
Now for the less than stellar part, I still can't justify the price tags. I own rods that perform just as well and cost half what the Sages do. The $50 warranty fee is also a bit higher than the average. Love the rods but unless I get a killer deal I'm not willing to pay for the name.
The only way I buy them is used at 50% of retail with a warranty card...but I don't buy new cars either.
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 AM

golfnfish will become famous soon enough

389-3 LL Best light dry fly rod I have ever used and the crown jewel of the Sages I own
383-3 SPL
590-4 SLT Great, versatile rod as long as you don't need fast action. I have a Scott S4 for that.
790-4 XP
1090-5 RPLXi

I have never had a Sage that I ended up selling or trading.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:38 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
The only way I buy them is used at 50% of retail with a warranty card...but I don't buy new cars either.
i always wondered about that, how can someone get used rod still with warranty card?
and where do you find 50% deals