The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 10:26 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Headin' to Cabelas!

My wonderful wife is taking me to cabelas this weekend for my birthday/fathers day, so i can get a new Rod and reel. I have been shopping and comparing and asking questions for a couple months regarding rods, and i know i have a thread already started but wasn't able to find it so i will start another.
Im looking for a good all around trout rod. One i can throw dries and nymphs and the occasional bugger or muddler. i fish mainly small freestone creeks and small rivers. I would like to set my budget for the rod at $150- $200. Should i be concerned with the rod action as it pertains to what im throwing ie: slow action better suited for dry fly presentations, and faster action for nymphing/streamer?

A member was nice enough to point out Cabelas has the TFO pro 1 on sale for $75 in stores, and the website has the TQR on sale for about the same. Im tempted to buy one of each, maybe a 7' 3wt TQR and a 8'6" 4wt TFO Pro 1.
2 for the price of one kind of thing?
Anyways...lookin for some input, good or bad, or whatever....lets hear it.
Thanks guys!! and gals too of course!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 PM

mdk223 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Headin' to Cabelas!

Happy B-day! I too celebrate my b-day by going to Cabelas... The wife is much more lenient around that date... Have fun!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

If you're heading to Dundee, look up Dan(Huron River Dan) in the fly shop. If you're heading to Wheeling, look up Bill in the fly shop. Both will be great assests to your questions
Old 06-07-2012, 06:08 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Heading to Owatonna, Minnesota
Old 06-08-2012, 07:16 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Personally I would go with a short 7 to 7.5 3wt for small creeks and a 8.5 to 9ft 5 wt for larger rivers and stillwaters.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 PM

Just came back from Cabelas. Picked up a TFO Pro 1 for $74.99 in 8'6'' 4wt, a Cabelas Wind River 3/4 reel, had them spool it with line and backing, and a rod tube. Going back in the morning with my 2 boys while the girls go to the mall, hoping to get some waders and a vest or chest pack.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

If you're heading back there, be sure to stop by the old National Farmers' (now Wells Fargo) Bank in downtown Owatonna. It was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright's mentor Louis Sullivan, and is considered one of the most outstanding examples of American architecture.

The Prairie School Traveler