The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default Busted Rod....

I took out one of my old rods this morning to aggravate some smaller carp into biting. I missed two of them, but then a problem happened. I decided to use my old SA AC-906 rod that I've used countless times. (The SA was rigged and ready, so I took that instead of the Echo.) A very large and very angry Bigmouth Buffalo took my fly and busted my rod. The bottom section of the tip completely shattered during it's first run. The reel has a click drag but I'm used to palming it. I didn't think I put that much pressure on it and I was only using a 3X tippet. The rod is about 16 years old. I gave it to my sister for a first real rod and I feel terrible about busting it. (It's a big upgrade from the old K-Mart special.) I contacted SA and I'm waiting on a response. I heard that I might be able to get a replacement tip for it. If that doesn't work out, I was wondering what suggestions you folks might have. I'd really like to get it working again.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:41 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Busted Rod....

Sorry to hear about your recent misfortune, what a bummer. Be prepared for worst case scenario. My guess is that SA will help you out but you may not get a replacement tip for that specific model. I would guess that they might offer you a newer model instead.

I am not too sure as I haven't built or repaired broken rods, but I don't think you'll be able to salvage that tip. You could always go the route of checking with some folks who do repair work though. Repairs could be costly and maybe more than the rod's monetary value.

One other option is to put some ISO's out there to see if somebody has this same model laying around that they'd part with.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Is it possible that you had a nick in the rod from a streamer hitting it or other previous damage. I would wait on SA to see what they say, they are usually customer friendly....
Old 06-09-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
Is it possible that you had a nick in the rod from a streamer hitting it or other previous damage. I would wait on SA to see what they say, they are usually customer friendly....
It could be possible. It was my first rod and I learned to fly fish with it 16 years ago. I may have whacked it when I started out. I know I haven't recently.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I would definitely be hitting the big auction sites to see if there are any of the same rods out there
Old 06-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I would definitely be hitting the big auction sites to see if there are any of the same rods out there
That's exactly what I would do if SA tells you they are no longer available. If you don't mind would you enter the rod here: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ory-added.html I am trying to collect data on broken rods.

I hope you can get a new tip for that one. I know how badly I would feel if it happened to me.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-09-2012, 02:07 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

If SA has you tip in stock you will most likely get a replacement. I'm a fly fishing merit badge counselor at the local BSA camp and we sent SA two broken tips. Within a month we received two replacement tips for the SA rods that had been purchased at Walmart 5 years prior. I'd say great customer service.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-09-2012, 05:23 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Is it shattered or a clean snap ?
A clean snap can be scarfed with a piece of fiberglass rod epoxied inside (much like a spigot ferrule) and then wrapped over with rod thread,.
The klutz that I am, I've done it a few times
Old 06-09-2012, 05:41 PM

SA sent me a message back and all I have to do is send it in and they'll see what they can do.