The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 12:12 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: 3 Rod Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Hmmm. I think I'd go with

4wt- 8'8" Scott G2 (similar to my Sage 490 LL, but a bit more light and powerful)

7wt- 9' Scott S4s (new and improved version of my S3s)

10wt- 9' Scott S4s

For the stuff y'all are talking about 14+wts for, I'd sooner crank on them with a Braid stand up rig and an Accurate reel.

I figure, if yer gonna winch, use a winch.
Great minds think alike!

Although I would probly go...

S4s 907-4

S4s 909-4

S4s 911-4

Just because I really wouldn't do much Trout fishing if money was no object...

Last edited by kwb; 06-18-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Greedily, I would need more than 3 rods if $ were no object, however, my current most used trout rod is...

Sage 9'/#5 ONE with Hatch reel

My favorite bonefish rig is...

G.Loomis NRX 9'/#8 mounted with a Nautilus NV.G

And if I had the wear-with-all, I would like to do a lot more tarpon fishing in the Keys with either a...

9'/#12 Sage Xi3 or Hardy Proaxis. I would go with a big, narrow Abel Super for the Sage or a Fortuna X to match the Hardy.

But I still would have to have an 8 1/2'/#4 for spring creeks, a 6-weight for drift boats and a #9 and 10 for striped bass and permit...
Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 AM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I tried, I really tried, but I can't do it.

Heck, I need three four weights.

My problem is MI has too much variety, in-between Salmon-Steelhead, SM Bass, Musky, and Trout, I just can't narrow it down. Even for trout, I need a small stream dry fly rod 7'6" Boo, Holy Waters rod Hardy Zenith 8 1/2 4 weight, Trophy waters and Drake rod Zenith 9-5 weight and a Hex-Streamer rod 9-6 Proaxis. And that's just Trout!

And that doesn't include the 10-5 Marksman Drifter for AK rainbows, and the the 10-4 Greys Streamflex for southern tailwater nymph fishing.

If I add Carp and SM I take the 9-6 Proaxis, but throw in the 9-8 Proaxis for the big guys.

For Musky its a 9-10 weight Greys Predator.

And for Steelies its a 11 1/2 7 Hardy Swift, for Salmon and BW steelies its the 13-8 Swift.

I'm hopeless, And I still need the 6'6" 3 Hardy Perfection.glass for calm day small stream dry flies. And I've had my eye on a Keystone (Dickerson 6611) for the same conditions.

It's Hopeless. I can't hardly go anywhere with three measly rods.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

For trout I use a 1979 Orvis Far & Fine 5 weight.

For large river fish up to 60 pounds I would use one of my 9/10 weight Spey rods.

For that 300 pound tuna I would use what ever the charter boat operator would provide. I would rather catch such a fish using the proper gear and not hunt an elephant with a bow.

Those would be my choices for fishing anywhere for anything

Ard
bradyb and caseywise like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-19-2012, 11:34 AM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

Well it doesn't sound like anyone is up for the challange of a BIG yellowfin on the fly....We'll just let Steve Abel take care of that..LOL...

Great responses so far, I'm glad people are chiming in..

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-19-2012, 09:54 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

From the rods I have now:

1. TFO Finesse 7' 9" 4 weight for small trout on small streams

2. Orvis Hydros Tip Flex 9' 6 weight for all-around trout situations

3. Loomis IMX 9' 8 weight for bass bugging, Atlantic salmon and saltwater
Old 06-20-2012, 07:15 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
From the rods I have now:

1. TFO Finesse 7' 9" 4 weight for small trout on small streams

2. Orvis Hydros Tip Flex 9' 6 weight for all-around trout situations

3. Loomis IMX 9' 8 weight for bass bugging, Atlantic salmon and saltwater
Come on, Moucheur, he said money is not an object. Lets upgrade you to...

1. Scott G 8'/#4
2. Helios or better yet, ONE 9'/#6
3. NRX #8

What do you think?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:33 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Edited below!

Last edited by db cooper; 10-29-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:20 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

Have lower and mid but not the top;

8'-6" TFO Signature I, nice rod for the money, probably a bit harsh for smallish stream but will step up in a wind and light salt use.

9'-0" TFO BVK, it cast very well in adverse winds (that seems to all we get here on the South coast). Great for bass, trout, reds, shoudl fit for salmon andmid tarpons.

Since I have 2 in college (ie heavy budget) I'll stay mid range with a 12wt TFO TrCx.

Pete A.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Come on, Moucheur, he said money is not an object. Lets upgrade you to...

1. Scott G 8'/#4
2. Helios or better yet, ONE 9'/#6
3. NRX #8

What do you think?
1. Nice pick. Or a Winston Tom Morgan Favorite. But if money really is no object, an 8' 4 weight Tom Morgan Rodsmiths.

2. The Helios is a nice stick, and I've cast it, but I don't like those gold bling reel seats. I honestly like the Hydros better because it's less garish and casts about the same. I've got the same issue with the Hardy Zenith, which I can cast even better than the Helios or the Sage -- but its reel seat is just double-ugly. I'd probably pick the Sage Z-Axis or maybe even the ZXL as being more useful close in than the One and still pretty good at distance, but with a more classic look than Helios or Zenith.

3. Bingo!

Last edited by moucheur2003; 06-22-2012 at 06:31 AM.