The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 10:04 PM

fishindave is on a distinguished road
Default 3 Rod Challenge

So in the grand scheme of things, what would be your 3 go to rods for fishing anywhere, for any fish in the world?

Cosiderations:

1) You have the opportunity to fish anywhere in the world.

2)Any style of fishing, (1 handed,Two handed etc.)

3)You will have the opportunity to catch any fish in the world, from 6" goldens in the high sierra, to 300# tuna at soccorro island in Mexico.

4)Price is no object.

5)Remember, this for you and you only. Not a suggestion for someone who just wants the best 3 all-around rods. i.e. If you don,t like to fish the flats for boneys, don't include that style of rod.

Let the fun and games begin.

I will start off.

5/wt Winston BIIIx for any trout fishing I might do.

8/wt Sage Xi3 This will be the go to flats rod, and will take anything from boneys to med. size tarpon.

13/wt Sage Xi3 This is the big gun, and will whip up on anything from med. size tarpon to 150# class tuna and Giant Trevally.

So lets have some fun with this people.

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-16-2012, 06:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Rod Challenge

When I know that I'm going to be fishing my 10wt all day I wear both a wrist and an elbow brace, otherwise I know that I'm going to be hurtin' the next day. For me a 13wt could not be one of my "big 3". It would get so little use that it wouldn't be worth it, even with the local bluefin fishery.

"In my world" 90% of the fishing that I do is with a 4wt, a 6wt, and an 8wt.
I might use an 10wt line on an 8wt rod but it's still the same 8wt
I don't see that changing
Old 06-16-2012, 07:02 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I use a
9wt Colton Tradewinds
7wt Sage FLI
5wt Sage FLI

I dont really fish offshore so a 9wt is as big as it gets and i dont trout fish so no need for anything smaller than a 5wt. I have back ups too but these are my go to rods.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:08 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Tough call. This year, I have fished eight of my rods. If I could choose three general purpose rods from my current quiver for "my world," they would be:

383-4 Sage SLT - Small stream dry and wet fly
590-4 Sage Z-Axis - Small streams to big rivers and lakes
890-4 Hardy Proaxis - Various freshwater and saltwater species

Honorable mention that could bump the 3 weight off the list:
6129-4 Gary Anderson Steelhead Spey - Medium to big rivers, surf

Dennis
Old 06-16-2012, 12:31 PM

risenfly is on a distinguished road

For the type of fishing I enjoy it's fairly easy.

7' 6" 3wt. I love little mountain streams and fish them often. Perfect for this, or even the bluegill pond.

9'5wt. All around, but not ideal for any specific. Nymphs, dries, streamers. It'll do it all.

9' 8wt. Steelhead, or salmon if you really wanted to, plus a nice bass rod, or even heavy streamer rod.

That fits the bill for every fish I target and I would be quite pleased if that's all I ever used.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:17 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

this is easy. 5 weight scott a4 9 weight nrx 15 weight bluewater lefty kreh
Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough

I like this question, especially since I'd have to buy 3 new rods to make it all work!

9 foot, 5 weight Winston BIIIX - (trout anywhere)

9 foot, 9 weight Loomis NRX - (variety of saltwater species and lakes with a sink line) - bonefish, small tarpon, permit, stripers, bass, pike, etc.

Spey rod in the 13 foot ish... 7/8 weight range to fish around the world for atlantic salmon, steelhead, salmon, big river rainbows & browns, etc. from Patagonia to B.C. and Alaska through Iceland.

If I had to add reels to make this a combo, I'd use a Lamson Lightspeed on the BIIIX, a Lamson Vanquish on the NRX, and either a Ross Momentum or Nautilus NV on the spey rod........ all this, if money was no object.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

My three are the ones I use all the time. 9' 5 wt., 9' 10 wt. and my 15' 8/9 wt.. Unfortunately I just broke my 10 wt. ARRRRRRGGGGHHHH! It's a Winston. They are going to make me a new tip. It's the first fly rod I have ever broken. Guess I will have to amend my poll answers.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:39 AM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

Guess I should have put the reels in my answer...So here they are

Galvin Torque for the 5/wt
Nautilus NV for the 8/ wt
and Abel 14 for the big gun....Got to love the 500 yd 50# spectra backing capacity..

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Hmmm. I think I'd go with

4wt- 8'8" Scott G2 (similar to my Sage 490 LL, but a bit more light and powerful)

7wt- 9' Scott S4s (new and improved version of my S3s)

10wt- 9' Scott S4s

For the stuff y'all are talking about 14+wts for, I'd sooner crank on them with a Braid stand up rig and an Accurate reel.

I figure, if yer gonna winch, use a winch.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.