The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 08:16 PM

skelley1970 is on a distinguished road
Default Found treasure?

Hello All,

Bought a home last summer and just got around to cleaning out the old barn. I found three rods in the loft. Not sure what I have here...anyone know them?

1. True Temper Model 1251 6'
2. Garcia Conolon Five Star 2218-A 6.5' Medium action, fast taper
3. Garcia Conolon 2463 6' Medium action, fast taper

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Found treasure?

Pretty sure you have three spinning rods . Garcia conlons and True Tempers were mass produced in the 60s. Without a pic I can't be positive but I'm sure theyre fiberglass and a treasure to someone for the memories.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-17-2012, 09:22 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

The Conolon's were a staple in the Garcia line. I used a 2508B for a few years (my Dad had a 2508A), matched and balanced with a Mitchell 300 reel, before I switched over to ultra-light.....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about those specific models, but both Garcia and True Value made 'blue collar" rods and it would be a stretch to call them treasure.

True Value made thousands of rods for stores like Montgomery Ward and Sears
Almost zero collectors value.
As for the Garcia Conolons, they get a little more love, and the 5 star is almost top of the line.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 PM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about

There's a site; Earl's antique tackle. He sells older antique fishing with a more broad spread of tackle, I love old ABU's thus patrol his list fairly often.

The older Conolon stuff is well cherished by many who grew up with it. It won't bring antique bamboo fly rod prices and condition is everything. However you might be suprised, the casting rods bring more than the spinning. I have not seen the True Temper stuff as it was better put by previous posted that it is base model stuff.

Pete A.