The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 PM

hi_fi is on a distinguished road
Default Old Silaflex coming unwrapped

Hi,

I just noticed that one of the decorative thread wrappings is coming apart on my old Browning Silaflex rod. I don't want to spend a lot on it, but it's otherwise in very good condition and I'd like to get it glued down before it gets any worse.

I'm hoping someone can tell me what kind of varnish or ??? would be the best to glue it back down.

I will post a couple of pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that!

Thanks in advance!
Bill

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Sorry for the double post. Maybe someone who knows how to do it can delete the one with no pictures?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:46 PM

williamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant future
Default Re: Old Silaflex coming unwrapped

They don't look like tough wraps. Perhaps you should get someone to redo them? If they are coming off there might be others ready to as well and getting the rod looked over andperhaps refinishing the wraps could be worth it.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I don't know anybody with the skill required to redo this type of thing, and I would guess it wouldn't be cheap.

I was hoping to do something simple and cheap, if nothing else keep it from getting any worse without doing any harm to the rod. It looks like the other wraps are in pretty good shape. There may not be an easy/cheap solution, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Bill
Old 06-19-2012, 07:41 PM

williamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant futurewilliamhj has a brilliant future

The cheapest might be using a tiny amount of superglue (like a tiny dot on the tip of a toothpick) to hold the thread down where it's coming up. If the finish is coming off the thread it might be good to refinish the wraps. The stuff I use costs less than $30 for all you'd need to refinish them. It might not restore it to how it was, but could protect the thread if the finish is wearing off.

I'm not sure how much it would cost to fix the wraps. If it's just those wraps it doesn't look like much work but I don't know what someone would charge. I've built rods but never tried pricing a repair. Where are you? There might be someone on the board nearby who could help?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

There are a bunch of rod builders here, so someone will provide a reasonable answer for doing it yourself. I believe if you took it to most any fly shop, they would either do that little repair for you as a service for cheap, or they'd certainly know someone in the area who would. I had a similar issue on a very old glass rod and my guy just laughed and told me to pick it back up the next day...

-Mike
Old 06-20-2012, 06:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If you take the rod to most any good tackle shop, they'll charge you about 15 bucks to fix that.
Me..... I'd strip that wrap off and then touch up the others with spar varnish.
In a pinch you could use clear nail polish, but it won't last long.
If you decide to do the varnish, wipe the rod down first with some mineral spirits on a coffee filter to clean it.
imxer likes this.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:30 AM

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm in the Milwaukee area.

Right now I'm thinking I'll first try WilliamHJ's superglue idea to get the thread back in place and make the wrap to look good, and then use spar varnish as suggested by Rip Tide on it and all of the other wraps to protect them.

I noticed that Cabelas sells Flexcoat "color preserver and thread sealer". I wonder if that would work as well as spar varnish?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I noticed that Cabelas sells Flexcoat "color preserver and thread sealer". I wonder if that would work as well as spar varnish?
No, that stuff just seals the thread protecting the color, you need something to coat it over.
You could use the Flexcoat Rod Wrapping Finish, but your rod has spar varnish on it now.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:13 AM

Thanks Rip Tide. I hope to get started with the super glue step tonight (between loads of laundry) and let it cure a few days before applying the varnish.

Should I just get whatever they have at Ace Hardware, or do I need a special kind of spar varnish?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 AM

Actually, the Ace Hardware brand is the best.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

That's a nice rod by the way.
According to what I could find, its a 7ft. 7 1/4 inch, four piece. Is that right ?
Highly unusual, and they weren't cheap either. $40-$50 in the mid '60s