The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Old Orvis workhorse

Here's a pic of my first "expensive" flyrod purchased back when $109 was expensive, Orvis Fullflex "A" 9'-0" 5 3/4oz GAF(9). By todays standards a real beast, as I tell my sons "cast it for a day and it'll make a man out of you". They call it the "big dog".

Compared to the Shakespeare GAF Wonderrod it replaced it is a dream to cast (I do wish I would have kept that Shakespeare white rod). It loads and throws a big fly well for a slow fullfex action. The reel seat has some corrosion for years of salt water fishing and gathers dust while I use the latest graphite "rod of the month". But I developed a long time fondness for this one.

I posted some details on oldie "hi-tech' add-ons the the reel in the Reel forum.

Pete A.

PS.: back then $109 included a fine aluminum rod case

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Old Orvis workhorse

That's a nice rod.
I was looking to buy one of those not that long ago ($125, fair condition) but fortunately the dealer sold it before I could make up my mind
It's not like I needed yet another rod that I wasn't going to use and besides, I already have one that's similar. An Orvis Golden Eagle... now that rod's heavy 7.5 oz.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Old Orvis workhorse

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the forum, this is a good place to post some chat about the old Orvis because we have a few full flex lovers here. I prefer the old actions over the new super fast sticks and do 95% of my fishing with my old rods. Besides the smooth forgiving action they seem to slow down the whole of my fishing. I fish for sport, relaxation, and food, but I still want to feel the rod. I just picked up a 1968 6.5 foot Orvis full Flex late last year in new condition. I couldn't help myself, like Paul (Rip Tide) I already have plenty of rods waiting for their day out of the house but having another slow comfy rod to cast hooked me solid.

If you don't mind, would you copy your post to the Rod Love; the Fly Rod Picture Thread thread? The thread is kinda like a catalog of beautiful rods that members have posted. You'll find all sorts of rods on there.

Glad you are enjoying the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;