The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 11:39 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: got my First rob set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
thanks.
now i need: vest , waders, net, and all the other good stuff. but for that stuff i dont mind buying used of craigslist or something.
No you don't, some old pair of shorts with big pockets and sandals will do.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:42 PM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyote View Post
If you're interested, I have a cabelas's chest pack sitting in my closet that I will mail you if you want it. It's in good shape and I'd be glad to give it to you to help you get started, just shoot me a pm.
A testimonial to the quality of people on this sight...Good on ya!

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-24-2012, 12:02 AM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
The Clearwater 905-4pc is a great middle-of-the-road rod. I really enjoy using mine. I also took the 101 class about six weeks ago, and then went back for the 201 class two weeks ago. Both were very helpful! In the 201 we learned roll cast, circle cast, and improved shooting techniques. Additionally, the instructor gave me some one-on-one time teaching me to cast while sitting flat on my butt, as i told him that I was planning on fly fishing from a kayak. Had me holding the rod (and my shoulder) higher. I need more practice at that, but at least I have the basics down.
o really? i might look into 201 class as well. was 201 free or not?
because if its not free i think i'd rather take a private class (6 people at most) from my local shop for $100 that goes on for 8 hours. i think this is one of those cases where supporting local shops matters
Old 06-24-2012, 12:48 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Not only was the 201 also free, there were only 4 students, one of which could only stay for the first 45 minutes! So we got great one-on-one help. I took my 201 the weekend before Father's Day, and Orvis had released a "buy $50 worth of stuff, get $25 off" coupon that week. I used one before the class to stock-up on crayfish flies (I haven't yet learned to tie that well). At the end of the class, we were given a small box of 4 or 5 flies and another $50 Fathers Day coupon.

The coupon stated one per day per customer, so I told the instructor that "d try to travel back to the store (about 75 miles from my house) another day before it expired to buy $50 worth of poppers. Instead, he allowed me to use my second coupon that same day! So in the end, I got $100 worth of Orvis flies for $50.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 06-24-2012, 12:54 AM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

o nice, yea i also got that coupon as well $25 off on $50 or more. i plan on using to buy some more flies as well. luckily there's Orvis store in Los Angeles, so i might go by there.
i will also look into 201, thanks hopefully i can score anohter one of those coupons for future use.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:59 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
thanks.
now i need: vest , waders, net, and all the other good stuff. but for that stuff i dont mind buying used of craigslist or something.
Enjoy the new rig.

In reality, it's summertime. You don't necessarily needs those goods. Let's break it down.

Vest - A fanny pack will hold everything that you need for a day on the water.

Waders - If you plan on fishing mostly small creeks, you most likely won't get in water. Just wear your hiking boots. If you plan on getting into the water, buy some inexpensive wading boots and a set of wet wading gravel guards.

Net - If you are going after cookie cutter trout at first, you do not necessarily need a net. Just make sure to wet your hands before you touch the fish.

Dennis
Old 06-25-2012, 10:27 AM

first day out with my new rod
West Fork stream, outside of LA.
there were tons and tons of people swimming
but i found a spot and was able to cast a few and catch these 2 little guys.
i barely lifted it out of water when g/f had camera ready and i released right away. being its first day with new rod is the only reason i took the pics. after this only large fish will get this kind of attention
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:14 PM

risenfly is on a distinguished road

Now you only need 30 more rods and reels, 5,000 more flies, 6 more packs, more tippet, cutters, indicators, hats, fancy shirts, and... and... and...

Enjoy the addiction we all call fly fishing and that none of us want an intervention!
Old 06-25-2012, 05:45 PM

ya, i think im gonna go in to work even earlier tomorrow then usual, and get out by 1:30 and go back up to this same spot for some more fishing
Old 06-25-2012, 06:08 PM

addni is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on your new obbsession! Best addiction there is