The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Rods

Fly Rods Post any comments or questions regarding fly rods...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 05:18 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default got my First rob set up

well its official, this morning i went to Orvis 101 free class *($50 discount at the end of the class on their set ups )
and i walked home with my first set up

ORVIS Clearwater outfit. 905-4
i tried it out and it feels great *(actually i like it better then the HELIOS rod i tried during class) i got only the very very basic equipment:
rod/reel/line combo
20+ mix n fly box.

im actually going on a trip to Nor CAL next friday. and taking a week to drive down along the coast/redwoods mainly and camp
so if you're from there and can give me some good locations to visit *(but please keep it close to the coast line and easy to find places. i've never been to No.Cal so complete noob)
very excited to get started. gonna go out practice later tonight / tomorrow at my local part

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:44 PM

fishindave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: got my First rob set up

Welcome to the obsession, Where wallets get broken, and lines get mended...

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-23-2012, 09:00 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

thanks.
now i need: vest , waders, net, and all the other good stuff. but for that stuff i dont mind buying used of craigslist or something.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:02 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Nice set up! That should be a great start for you. Go out there and practice every chance you get. They say practice makes perfect.

I got to ask how much it cost. I got a friend who needs a good starter kit.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 06-23-2012, 09:31 PM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: got my First rob set up

Well I think you bought a great setup as a 5 weight is a good all around fly rod and will work for small streamers, nymphs and dry flies. Good luck and have a blast as it's all up hill from here but the rewards are worth it as there's nothing like a fish on a fly rod. I say up hill because now it learning the how to catch them under a vararity of conditons but the rewards are way worth it and it's fun fun fun along the way.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:59 PM

redyote is on a distinguished road

If you're interested, I have a cabelas's chest pack sitting in my closet that I will mail you if you want it. It's in good shape and I'd be glad to give it to you to help you get started, just shoot me a pm.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

Orvis makes good stuff and that is probably a great starter outfit. Taking their class was also a good move. Once you get the first fish to the net you will be hooked, no pun intended.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer View Post
I got to ask how much it cost. I got a friend who needs a good starter kit.
the set up is $295 , (rod, reel, backing, line, case) but for taking the free 3 1/2 hour class we got $50 off, so $245 +tax.
i then bought some flies, leaders, tippits, etc, so OTD i dropped 350 roughly.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyote View Post
If you're interested, I have a cabelas's chest pack sitting in my closet that I will mail you if you want it. It's in good shape and I'd be glad to give it to you to help you get started, just shoot me a pm.
thanks buddy, thats very generous of you. i know my g/f wants to get me a gift to help me get started and she happens to work for an outdoors company, so i think vest might be due very soon.
and im sure there are kids out there wanting to fly fish and need it more then i do, so im sure you'll find it good home for it. thanks again for the offer, good to see there are good people out there

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike63 View Post
Orvis makes good stuff and that is probably a great starter outfit. Taking their class was also a good move. Once you get the first fish to the net you will be hooked, no pun intended.
thanks, i've done it one day before when i lived in UT. caught 3 fish, and really really enjoyed it, so im sure ill put this set up to good use.
actually i just checked and found pics of that day, now that i think abou tit, im happy to have a pic of very first fish i caught on a FLY rod

o and i know some guys will say i shouldnt take fish out of water to take pics. i kept that one for dinner, other 2 went right back in the water though
Old 06-23-2012, 11:05 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info and nice fish man. I hope you enjoy the disease that is fly fishing.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 06-23-2012, 11:30 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

The Clearwater 905-4pc is a great middle-of-the-road rod. I really enjoy using mine. I also took the 101 class about six weeks ago, and then went back for the 201 class two weeks ago. Both were very helpful! In the 201 we learned roll cast, circle cast, and improved shooting techniques. Additionally, the instructor gave me some one-on-one time teaching me to cast while sitting flat on my butt, as i told him that I was planning on fly fishing from a kayak. Had me holding the rod (and my shoulder) higher. I need more practice at that, but at least I have the basics down.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky